Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Pentax *ist DL with dead software....any hope?

I just acquired a low shutter count Pentax DL and was in the middle of updating the software when I got interrupted by my 93 year old mother, who has dementia. The bottom line is the camera is totally dead. Of course the Pentax "ReadMe" specifically advises against turning the camera off or otherwise interupt the process once the software update has begun. Unfortunately, no one told my mother............. Sure, I could send the camera for service, to have the operating software reinstalled, but that will cost 3 times what the camera cost used. I find it hard to believe that there's not a solution floating around out there. If anyone knows what to do, other than make a display camera out of this nearly unused antique, I'd be eternally grateful! Thanks! Mike

03-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this...I'm afraid there's not much you can do. But the redeeming factor is that the ist DL is far from good by modern standards. Compacts and maybe even phones can outperform the image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's the same problem with motherboard bios updates, when you interrupt the update the firmware is corrupted entirely while it was being replaced so nothing can interface with it.
The only solution is to replace the internal component that keeps the firmware info.
03-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a couple of DLs here that appear to have some kind of sensor issue. They have the main circuit board you'd need to fix your camera. But that is a lot of work to end up with a working DL. First I'd investigate how much a used K100D would cost. You'd get the same sensor, shake reduction and I think better build quality. If you can find one with a realistic price - perhaps $50 - it would save you several hours of swapping parts and soldering. I doubt anyone would repair the camera for $50.