Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the forum "Post Your Photo" any camera no matter what brand is allowed.
In Weekly challenges, there are some threads that allow other camera brands but some are Pentax only.
Same with Theme based threads in Mini challenges and games forum.
For the Pentaxforums contests, it's Pentax/Ricoh only.
Then there is the Non-Pentax forum, i.e., Nikon, Canon, etc where there are threads allowing posting of other brands, of course.

Hope that answers your questions on where to post your other brand camera photos.

09-28-2017, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
the original poster asked if it is possible to post non Pentax photos here at the forum

as far as I know yes unless the person who has started the thread specifies otherwise

in my experience, many who do so " confess " and list the non Pentax equipment
Yes, you can post/upload/discuss photos taken with any brand.

The only brand restriction is for our monthly contests, and select user-run challenges, which are Pentax-only.

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
I also want to know if I can upload the nikon pics here? as a sample I'm going to be donating this wknd.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2017, 11:34 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

I had the D7000 and then (for reasons I have explained elsewhere in here) I also got the K-5. I used the Bigma 50-500 on both so it was an easy task to make a side by side comparison. The K-50 is an entry level DSLR while both the D7000 and the K-5 where the semi-pro top APS-C models of each company at that time (around 2012-2013), using the same 16,3 Mpxl sensor. Long story short, I became a Pentaxian after a few months shooting both cameras! When I had some time for shooting I always picked my K-5 and left the D7000 home, as it was giving me more pleasure and quite better results.

Don't get me wrong @enyaw I don't mean that the D7000 is a bad camera, on the contrary it is very good and honestly more than enough for anything in the hands of a good photographer! Concerning the AF performance and especially AF tracking, the D7000 was way better on paper than the K-5, but that didn't seem to be the case in real life shooting. The keepers rate (remember smae cameras, same lenses, same settings and photographer) was higher with the K-5! I found that while the D7000 was better at AF tracking, the tack sharp pictures I was getting were less than those from K-5. The D7000 could track quite well in the sense that you wouldn't find a caption that was completely out of focus, while that happened from time to time with the K-5, but the buffer of the D7000 was significally shorter (and disturbing for my aviation photography) and the K-5 frame rate was also higher. So, after shooting let's say a high speed pass of a fast jet, with the D7000 I was getting 6-10 frames that all were good and 1-2 of them tack sharp if I was lucky while with the K-5 I was getting 15-20 frames where 1-2 where out of focus, 5-6 where good like D7000 and 7-10 tack sharp and excellent captions...

I had tested both combos in various conditions and there was only one case where the D7000 was way ahead of the K-5 (even the K-5IIs I got later). That is AF tracking small subjects on bussy backgrounds! So If you had to track a bird in flight, both cameras where very good while it was flying high against the sky or clouds. If the bird was coming low and there were mountains, trees, etc on the background, the K-5 was loosing the subject and you were lucky if you got any sharp images at all (e.g. when the bird was filling the frame and had good contrast against the background). OTOH the D7000 would keep on tracking the bird and would give you more or less the same % of keepers like when the bird was flying against the clear sky! So for the K-5 you had to develop techniques to overcome this con (that is another story). Anyway I wrote a lot as your equipment and question took me back to my first steps with DSLRs. I hope you weren't bored!

So to your question, no the K-50 can't exactly match your D7000 settings (which is a more advanced camera), but if you set the K-50 properly you can still get great results, with very different shooting style and more importantly completely different mentality

Enjoy shooting with your great cameras!
09-29-2017, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
redpit, I couldn't ask for a better answer than what you gave. I guess it's a case of comparing an apple to an orange. Thanks alot.