Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-1 deleting in camera takes a looong time

Hi Guys,

when I delete a photo in camera it takes up to ten seconds which can be tedious if I want to delete a couple. Using a fast 64GB Samsung card. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

04-03-2017, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my Panasonic GX-1 if I have a lot of pictures on a card it does this. But I haven't ever seen it on my k-3. Do you have a huge number of shots in the same days folder? Sometimes FAT32 file systems slow down when you have too many files in one directory. But I would expect the number needed to cause this would be far more than a days shooting.
04-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadrunnerdeluxe Quote
Hi Guys,

when I delete a photo in camera it takes up to ten seconds which can be tedious if I want to delete a couple. Using a fast 64GB Samsung card. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!
I'd try a different card just to eliminate that possibility, but if it's a UHS-I card, you should be fine most of the time. Also, format the existing card as that might help, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-1 is much slower deleting than K-3, using the same cards. It seems to be K-1-specific.

And it seems to be only when deleting single images, not a whole folder at a time.

04-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you deleting files because your card is full? If not the easy way is to download your photos to the computer (you can select which ones or download all and delete the rejects, then when you see the download went well format your card in camera. I'm not knocking your workflow but it seems like a waste of time deleting files while you're shooting.
04-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
K-1 is much slower deleting than K-3, using the same cards. It seems to be K-1-specific.

And it seems to be only when deleting single images, not a whole folder at a time.
The files are much bigger I suppose. I agree with Adam, try formatting the card or a new blank card.
04-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have this same issue but found that since the K1 takes some seconds to write a file it will take a long time to delete one if you try to do while the camera is still writing a file.

Try waiting until the write operation is completed before trying to delete a file. The camera will display you shot on the rear LCD screen before it has completed writing the file to the SD cards. So just because you can see a copy of the image does not mean that it has been saved completely. Look at the orange LED to insure that the camera has completed saving the image. If it is flashing it is still working.