Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Enough!

Does anyone know how to cancel a subscription to Adobe CreativeCloud/Lightroom? I was given this piece of junk for Christmas and I WANT IT GONE! Unfortunately, I can't just uninstall it. Adobe pulls the scam that you have to provide a credit card and then (hopefully) remember to cancel it before the year is up or you are automatically charged for another year. Well, I ain't waiting that long. After some three months I'm done with it.

04-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Maybe call your credit card company and tell them that you believe your credit card number has been compromised and you need a new one issued.
04-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Does anyone know how to cancel a subscription to Adobe CreativeCloud/Lightroom? I was given this piece of junk for Christmas and I WANT IT GONE! Unfortunately, I can't just uninstall it. Adobe pulls the scam that you have to provide a credit card and then (hopefully) remember to cancel it before the year is up or you are automatically charged for another year. Well, I ain't waiting that long. After some three months I'm done with it.
I'm fairly certain that if you login to adobe and manage your account you can cancel.

Alternately simply cancel the card and get a new one.
04-04-2017, 07:34 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

I dislike software as a service and would rather pay once and be done.

04-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sign in with your Adobe ID. Change your credit card # to something that does not work.

A bit strong calling it a 'scam' I think. That is just normal billing. Mine is monthly actually though I have heard you can select an annual option. Or am I missing something? Why can you not just uninstall it? Call Adobe and tell them you want to cancel. I have called with a couple of issues I had and both times received quick, polite and thorough assistance.

Curious what your issue with Lightroom is? There is a learning curve and it is not for casual users in my opinion but it is about the best out there at what it does. Of course if you don't need Lightroom or Photoshop then $10 a month will buy you a coffee every week.
04-04-2017, 07:43 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I dislike software as a service and would rather pay once and be done.
Agree completely. This is the reason I won't touch LR/PS with a barge pole. Purge it forever, send it to the deepest pits of hell and pour the universe's entire supply of concrete and molten lead in on top of it.
04-04-2017, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Agree completely. This is the reason I won't touch LR/PS with a barge pole. Purge it forever, send it to the deepest pits of hell and pour the universe's entire supply of concrete and molten lead in on top of it.
That's why when I got the notice that I'd get a good deal if I updated from CS5.5 and LR 4.4 I said NOPE.

04-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

While I don't care for the plan they been using for a while (ie 10 or more a month vs paying $600 to $2000 once), it seems to be a bit of necessity these days, though on the OSX side they need to work on stability and then need to fully test the software before rolling out a new version.

Also while the student/teacher plan (the one I'm on), is 10/month, the pretty plain print on check out states you're contracted for a year even though it's monthly, meaning if you cancel before the year is up, you're immediately charged the remainder of the contract. Not sure if that's the kind of scenario you're in or not, kind of doubt it since it was a gift, but it's something to make note of as I imagine their other plans hold similar stipulations.
04-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (Download) 65237402 B&H Photo Video
Alas: NOTE: This item is only available to customers using a US billing address at registration.
04-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer the monthly bill. It is predictable and doesn't suddenly strand me with a massive bill for upgrades. It also ensures a stream of revenue to the developers which keeps new features rolling out.
04-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually a perpetual license for LR6 can be had directly from Adobe. You don't need to be a subscription based customer.

Last edited by mattt; 04-04-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added link
04-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I was given this piece of junk for Christmas and I WANT IT GONE!
I think everyone is missing this important piece of information. If by "given ... for Christmas" you mean that someone else prepaid for a subscription, then you can uninstall Creative Cloud and any associated programs and it will be gone. The giftor won't get a credit for the remaining portion of the prepaid subscription unfortunately, although it is possible that Adobe Customer Service will issue a refund if contacted live. If you don't uninstall Creative Cloud, it will lose its functionality once the subscription ends, but it will sit on your computer to nag you every time you try to use it.
04-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I had difficulty cancelling a subscription to an Irish software co one time. Ended up cancelling my credit card. Still didn't work. The bank transferred the sub to the new card. I had to go to the bank and explain that Irish Co would not respond to all my efforts to cancel. Bank ended up doing a reversal and cancelling authorisation.
The bank manager also explained that some important regular payments rolled over to new cards eg house insurance.
04-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
I had difficulty cancelling a subscription to an Irish software co one time. Ended up cancelling my credit card. Still didn't work. The bank transferred the sub to the new card. I had to go to the bank and explain that Irish Co would not respond to all my efforts to cancel. Bank ended up doing a reversal and cancelling authorisation.
The bank manager also explained that some important regular payments rolled over to new cards eg house insurance.
I had my credit card stolen and cancelled. Adobe sent notices but they went to spam. I didn't remember them until it quit working! I don't recommend this was of cancelling but it generally works. I also would not condone lying to the bank - but asking no for the card to be changed due to a bill from someone that you cancelled with is reasonable.

My dad has experienced the bill reassigned to new card himself which the bank apologized for and reversed later.
04-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
PS, on the other hand, is only offered as part of CC, but compared to the prices it was sold at before CC, the typical user saves quite a bit of money by using CC rather than buying new versions every few years.
Buying new every few years?

Maybe it's different for people who make money with their photography, but I've still never had any urge to upgrade from Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and Adobe Photoshop CS2 (never tried Lightroom). The only compelling newer feature I've heard of is smart layer alignment, for focus stacking.