Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

Macro photography

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am a novice in photography. I wanted to start doing macro photography. My budget is $500. Any suggestions on what camera I can use?

04-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Jeanne, maybe a second hand K-5 or indeed the K-5 IIs and an A series 50mm f2.8 macro lens. This may be in under the budget.
that lens is manual focus, but manual focus and macro go hand in hand as such.
I would suggest also if the budget allows maybe instead the FA 50 macro, that one is auto focus as well as manual.
It will depend on what kind of subjects you want to photograph in macro. 50mm or 100mm lens. Anyway that is a start, others will have their suggestion for you to mull over.

Pentax K-5 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-5-iis.html

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

and this to get the creative juices flowing
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/

Last edited by beachgardener; 04-14-2017 at 04:08 AM.
04-14-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi, Jeanne,

While macro photography is absorbing, it can take some time to become proficient (I'm still trying after forty years !). If, as you say, you are a novice, you may get more satisfaction and less disappointment if you 'focus' (sorry) on other areas of photography first, such as landscape or street photography. Whilst neither of these may be as enthralling to you as macro, they should provide a good grounding in photographic technique generally and give you a base from which to build up. Once content with your results, you can turn your attention to more demanding subjects.
04-14-2017, 03:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeanneThompon Quote
Any suggestions on what camera I can use?
Does this mean that you don't have a camera at all?

As said, macro is a very niche area of photography and if you are at all serious about getting good results, you will need a lot of kit and a good grounding in photography. If you don't have a camera body and some experience already, that should be your first investment. Grab a used DSLR with a kit lens and start learning. Then I would suggest looking for an older manual macro lens...like that Pentax above, or Sigma and Tamron also have older macro lenses that you can grab cheap. A great alternative is to find a cheap M or A series 50mm and some cheap manual extension tubes from ebay. That with a used K-30 or similar will leave you with plenty of change.

However, once you start, you will then want lighting, focus rails, bellows, a high-end macro lens and more, so wave goodbye to any spare money you thought you might ever have...

04-14-2017, 04:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No camera !

Then almost any Digital SLR will work !
I have used iSTD to K5 ...
And they all work ...

The secret is not to make all those noob mistakes ( you learn from mistakes )
The best lens to start with is the 50mm ...

$500 Budget ...
Pentax M 50 F4 Macro lens - Cant still be had for little money ...
Any Digital SLR Body ( Pentax )

I would look @ K10D / K20D to start with ...
Also the Kx , K30 , K50 , K5 and so forth ... if $$ allows ...
Dont forget a flash ..

If you just want to get a taste for Macro ...
Then a 18-55 kit lens and just add a +4 close focus filter and a +8 close focus filter and you have the makings for some decent macro ...

There are so many ways to macro its not funny ..
04-14-2017, 04:22 AM   #6

What are you wanting to take pics of up close? If it's flowers then a 50mm macro lens is fine but if it's insects you should probably grab something in the 90mm and up category. As said earlier manual focus and a tripod or monopod to help keep iso down since you will need to stop down your lens significantly resulting in longer shutter times.
04-14-2017, 04:37 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

50mm

50mm VS 100mm
I think there is a discussion there some where ...
I will just say , to start with ... ( Beginners ) The 50mm is the easier lens to learn to use .

04-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Macro is an interesting and highly absorbing photographic arena. The truth is though that most of us just dabble in close focus (ie 1:4 ratio of reproduction, 1:3.. up to 1:2) rather than macro macro (ie up to 1:1 and more). Flower pics and the like! Even 18-55mm kit lenses can do decent close focus up to 0.34x (~ 1:3) so nothing special is required. And its easy to get quite good results from simple extra kit like a close focus filter - I regularly use one to take pics of small things for ebay. Then there are low cost options for exploring higher levels of reproduction: extension tubes; lens reversing and stacking principle among them.

So as already suggested, start with a camera and learning the principles of photography. Then if you're keen, start exploring the wealth of info both on this forum and out there on the web discussing macro photography. Asa a starter i recommend PF member @nass website extreme macro photograhy:

Extreme Macro Photography
04-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used gear is what you will want to focus on.

But first, what kind of macro? Hand-held insect work in the field will be different than on a tripod indoors.
04-14-2017, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

An 18-55mm lens and a Raynox DCR-250 is also a good option for macro photography. I've used one of these a long time before I bought a dedicated macro lens.

Our resident moderator/member Nass does extreme macro but he doesn't usually do so in the wild like a lot of us, myself included.

Raynox DCR-150 and Pentax 50-200mm @200mm

Last edited by photolady95; 04-14-2017 at 06:36 AM.
04-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are interested in taking insects from time to time, the FA 100mm F2.8 macro is an excellent performer. It allows a bit more distance from the subject. Sometimes they are quite skittish insects. If you are patient and watch for a bargain, these have sold for $250 US this past year. It works for portraits. I've also used mine for shooting events as it is autofocus and easier (for me) than manual focus in venues like that. It is usable handheld for macro, but my best shots with the 100mm have been tripod with manual focus. In addition, if at some time in the future you upgrade to the K-1, it is a full frame lens. It's an all around good lens.

For another view of macro photography, watch some of Thomas Shahan's videos. He mostly uses reversed non-macro lenses on Pentax gear and gets incredible results from them. Diffused flash is central to his work. It is probably the least expensive way to get into macro for tiny subjects.

Last edited by rgknief60; 04-14-2017 at 10:41 AM.
04-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At risk of bombarding you with information, I can recommend this video from B+H

My advise is not get too hung up on gear and try to keep it as simple as possible.
04-15-2017, 05:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Lots of good advice already. Personally, I'd start with a used K-01 (or possibly K-30/50) and a used, manual focus 90-105mm 1:1 macro lens, preferably with A contacts (something like a Vivitar Series 1 105mm F/2.5), plus a homemade Pringles diffuser for the onboard flash. That should cost somewhere in the $400-600 range. You might even be able to find an AF 1:1 macro within your budget (e.g. something like this). IMHO, after getting your feet wet with that, the next step would be to add manual flash & trigger (e.g. Yongnuo) and a Raynox DCR-250...