Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at the top of the page under "camera"you can compare Pentax cameras 3 at a time

here is a link to comparing the K S2, the K 70 and the K 5 II

Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

and the K S2, the K 3 II and the K 3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-S2&...&c3=Pentax+K-3

you can play with it on your own now

04-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #32
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use different camera for different needs. A better handling/more appropriate type of system can easily trump a newer sensor.

How about a used or new Ricoh GR and a used Pentax K-5 (or similar dslr). I have not priced the former, but a K-5 is probably about $250.~300 from B&H or KEH. And maybe as a guess $300 for the GR used.
04-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikebb Quote
Well I am still researching but would like to buy today so that I could have the camera by the weekend or early next week. I have come off the initial $1200 and lowered it to $6-800. But that takes me out of K3 II range. So I am now trying to decide K S2, USED K 5 IIs (very hard and exspensive to find), or k 70.

Obviously with the KS2 I can get 2 kit lenses 5.6 18-50mm and 5.6? 50-200mm on the lower end of my price scale. Plus with my manual 1,7 50mm would make 3 lens to start.
K 5 IIs and a new Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL in this price range
K70 18-135mm or K70 body only and add the Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL

Which would you do?

I still have a soft spot for the GRII or another mirrorless type just for the ease of carrying and less intimidating for me and the others when I am in public doing some street or just general photography. But I also realize the GRII is not going to do well for landscape stuff. But really as I think about it Cityscape/ landscape is less important to me than low light/night photography.
It seems the K-S2 also has had the aperture block issue, so personally I would rule it out. As someone who suggested that several of my friends buy Pentax K-30's only to have them fail after a few years of VERY light use I can't stress enough not to risk it. As for the K-70 it thankfully uses a different aperture control mechanism. Now, between the K-70 and the K-5lls??? I love my K-5lls and know you'd be happy with one too, but I have to recommend you go with the K-70 and 18-135 combo in this instance as the low light performance is probably going to be similar or better than the K-5lls, but the one thing I wish I had was an articulating screen which for you could be very useful with street photography. Good luck with your decision!
04-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #34

Original Poster
Well I actually do prefer both the K5 and K3 models to the KS2 and K70 models. I just like the look a little better and it seems the controls on the back are a little better. They also seem a little more sturdy looking. But the K3 are at top of budget just with a body. The K5s are fine with a body and one of the "not so expensive lenses" which I know are slow. The problem is FINDING a K 5 IIs. There are plenty shipped from Japan on ebay. And a few on Amazon which ironically I feel are little more shady than the ebay ones since you can't even see them, or get much more info other than "Used - Very Good" as a description.

So at the moment it seems KS2/K70 are the best bet unless I WAIT for K3 to drop in price more. Or go Ricoh GRII/mirrorless route.

Last edited by mikebb; 04-19-2017 at 08:18 PM.
04-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikebb Quote
...the GRII is not going to do well for landscape stuff. But really as I think about it Cityscape/ landscape is less important to me than low light/night photography.
28mm equivalent is a fine focal length for landscapes and the lens on the GR is extremely sharp. Also, at f2.8 it's going to be better in low light than any kit lens.
04-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #36

go for the DSLR i think you will enjoy the versatility