Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikebb Quote
Also, I do realize that the only good camera is the one you have with you when you want a photo. And obviously, the GR could be with me 24/7 since it can go in a jacket or cargo/jeans pocket. I do think I would carry a K3, KS, or K50 a lot too. But I could see times I wouldn’t when I could or would have had the GR in a pocket.
As much as I like the GRII, If it were me starting over, I would get a K70 with either the 16-85 or the 20-40 zoom. This package will allow me to do a lot. GRII is a special camera but the lens not being changeable may be a limiting factor in some of the areas you want to cover.

04-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #17

Original Poster
WOW, thanks for all the help thus far. I knew I would get some feedback here. At first I didn't want the K70 since it could not fit a battery grip. But now that I considered the point and shoot so much, I realized to carry it the most I should go as light and compact as possible.
04-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WOW, thanks for all the help thus far. I knew I would get some feedback here. At first I didn't want the K70 since it could not fit a battery grip. But now that I considered the point and shoot so much, I realized to carry it the most I should go as light and compact as possible.
Don't let the battery grip thing get in the way - I understand the grip aspect, but I find the K70 feels very nice in the hand, and I've never had a grip issue with it e.g going to drop it or fumble it, whereupon a battery grip is an expensive way to have more battery. Just throw a couple spares in the bag or a pocket and off you go. Also, the 16-85 has been mentioned, and that's what I've got on "our" K70, and it's a fantastic combo. Really like that lens. Very sharp, and a great range. Don't think you would go wrong with that combo. The lens is also on sale at B&H right now for a pretty good price of $539 - that's $107 off:
Pentax HD PENTAX DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens 21387 B&H, and they've got the black body K70 for $599, not that I mean to push you or anything while I have fun spending your money, but I think you'd be very happy with that combo from what you've posted.

Last edited by clickclick; 04-15-2017 at 11:25 AM.
04-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Don't let the battery grip thing get in the way - I understand the grip aspect, but I find the K70 feels very nice in the hand, and I've never had a grip issue with it e.g going to drop it or fumble it, whereupon a battery grip is an expensive way to have more battery. Just throw a couple spares in the bag or a pocket and off you go. Also, the 16-85 has been mentioned, and that's what I've got on "our" K70, and it's a fantastic combo. Really like that lens. Very sharp, and a great range. Don't think you would go wrong with that combo. The lens is also on sale at B&H right now for a pretty good price of $539 - that's $107 off:
Pentax HD PENTAX DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens 21387 B&H, and they've got the black body K70 for $599, not that I mean to push you or anything while I have fun spending your money, but I think you'd be very happy with that combo from what you've posted.

Completely agree with this perspective about the grip. Can't comment on the 16-85 as I've never owned one. I have a grip for my K-5II; only use it for cold outdoor shoots here in the Great White North (AKA Canada). During spring/summer/fall I don't use the grip at all - carrying a very small Domke F-5xb bag with the K-5II and a Ltd pancake + 2 more pancakes in the bag. It's a very small kit that goes everywhere. I'm a gear minimalist (ex army officer) with a spartan approach to carrying functional equipment. The K-70 looks like a lot of awesome firepower in a robust body with a form factor thar rocks for a DSLR!

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 04-15-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added
04-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #20
CLG

Why not get a K-x, if you can find a close to mint one, with 1 or 2 (21mm ,40mm, 77mm) pancake lenses? You can also use your small M35 or M50 lenses on it. That thing with Limiteds you can bring everywhere. And low light capability is nothing to laugh at. It IS an old camera, but the sensor is still acceptably good.

No focus peaking though.
04-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you gone to a store and actually handled the cameras? I would really recommend that. Just go and check out the K-S1, K-S2, K-3, and the GR. I think this will be important for your choice.
Ultimately you can buy a used K-5IIs or a used K-3, with some lenses. You can still use those older primes that you have on all modern Pentax DSLRs. They have good image quality, but obviously some features, like AF, will be missing.

I'd say get the K-S1 if you want a trendy, fashionable, really compact DSLR. Get the K-S2 if you want something a little more sporty. K-5IIs or K-3 if you want something with pro features. These are more powerful, but they have a slightly steeper learning curve. If you want a silver camera, get one of the special edition K-5 cameras. I don't think you will regret it. Or a used K-50 if you want to save some money for lenses. Decide what your priorities are, make a list, then see which cameras hit those notes at a good price
04-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Have you gone to a store and actually handled the cameras? I would really recommend that. Just go and check out the K-S1, K-S2, K-3, and the GR. I think this will be important for your choice.
Ultimately you can buy a used K-5IIs or a used K-3, with some lenses. You can still use those older primes that you have on all modern Pentax DSLRs. They have good image quality, but obviously some features, like AF, will be missing.

I'd say get the K-S1 if you want a trendy, fashionable, really compact DSLR. Get the K-S2 if you want something a little more sporty. K-5IIs or K-3 if you want something with pro features. These are more powerful, but they have a slightly steeper learning curve. If you want a silver camera, get one of the special edition K-5 cameras. I don't think you will regret it. Or a used K-50 if you want to save some money for lenses. Decide what your priorities are, make a list, then see which cameras hit those notes at a good price
I agree being hands on and actually seeing and handling a camera before buying is a great thing to do, but not many of us seem to have that opportunity. I am not near any stores which carry pentax camera bodies or lenses unless they are trade in. nothing wrong with that but it is hit and miss.

04-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #23
Forum Member

I can't really call one a better option than the other but I do feel inclined to say that there is somthing absolutely magical about shooting with a GR. While I can get better results with my dslr it takes far more effort than with my GR.
04-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #24

Original Poster
Well I am still researching but would like to buy today so that I could have the camera by the weekend or early next week. I have come off the initial $1200 and lowered it to $6-800. But that takes me out of K3 II range. So I am now trying to decide K S2, USED K 5 IIs (very hard and exspensive to find), or k 70.

Obviously with the KS2 I can get 2 kit lenses 5.6 18-50mm and 5.6? 50-200mm on the lower end of my price scale. Plus with my manual 1,7 50mm would make 3 lens to start.
K 5 IIs and a new Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL in this price range
K70 18-135mm or K70 body only and add the Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL

Which would you do?

I still have a soft spot for the GRII or another mirrorless type just for the ease of carrying and less intimidating for me and the others when I am in public doing some street or just general photography. But I also realize the GRII is not going to do well for landscape stuff. But really as I think about it Cityscape/ landscape is less important to me than low light/night photography.
04-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

have you checked the forum's market place???

click on the buy/sell above

I have no interest in anything being sold
04-19-2017, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Obviously with the KS2 I can get 2 kit lenses 5.6 18-50mm and 5.6? 50-200mm on the lower end of my price scale. Plus with my manual 1,7 50mm would make 3 lens to start.
K 5 IIs and a new Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL in this price range
K70 18-135mm or K70 body only and add the Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL

Which would you do?
The K-70 + 18-135 would be my choice. It makes for an excellent, versatile everyday combo. The K-70 is also significantly better than the K5 for low light photography, in fact there aren't that many cameras on the market beating the K-70 in low light and those doing better cost a lot more (Nikon D500 and D7500, Pentax K-P...). After that, just look at the PF marketplace and get a 50mm 1.8 or a 35 2.4. They can be had for about 100$ and would be very useful for your low light pictures (and the 50mm can also double as a very decent portrait lens).
04-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you really want the K3 sensor, and don't need the built-in GPS just get the K3. Watch for a used one here on the marketplace and jump on it.
04-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
After reading through the thread, I too would suggest either the K5IIs or K70. I have scanned enough K30/50 and I saw one K-s2 aperture block problems, so just avoid them. I mainly shoot the same interests as you and my K5IIs is just perfect. With the K70 you get focus peaking for your manual lenses. With a tight budget, I would just pass on the K3/3II/KP. With your interests - glass will be where you will be able to extend your capabilities, so what you save on a body - you will eventually spend on lenses. If you plan to use a tripod a lot, with manual lenses - then the K70. Focus peaking is through LiveView so it is not really a handheld exercise.
The K-70 might use the shutter used in the K-30, the K-50, and the KS-2.

Take a look at the comparison with the K-S2.

The K-70 body is not pro-grade like that of the K-5 II, but it is a newer model, with 24 megapixel images, the accelerator unit for noise reduction, 14-bit readout, and the vari-angle LCD screen for quick snaps on the go, and PixelShift for still life photography. If I'd had the option of buying it, I'd have done that. I ended up with a K-S2, which serves me well for snapshooting when paired with a DA 18-135 WR lens, though support for bounce flash is counterintuitive.
04-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SnapperDaddy Quote
The K-70 body is not pro-grade like that of the K-5 II, but it is a newer model, with 24 megapixel images, the accelerator unit for noise reduction, 14-bit readout, and the vari-angle LCD screen for quick snaps on the go, and PixelShift for still life photography.
It also means that the K-70 is compatible with any KAF4 lenses Pentax might launch in the future. The older K5ii will probably never be... The K-70 also has a better SR system (4.5 stops vs 3), at least on paper... Which could be something desirable for someone looking to do a lot of low light photography.
04-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #30

Original Poster
So the K70 is almost like a newer, slightly souped up KS2?