Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #1

Amber band at the top OR bottom of images?

While shooting today, I noticed that over half of the images taken with my k 50mm f1.4 had dark amber bands at the top or bottom of the frame (in the oof areas oddly). This was so unsightly that I ended up switching lenses--no problem so its not a bad shutter or shutter timing issue I don't think. I'll include a few images that show the problem.

Anyway, Has anyone ever had a problem like this? I can't seem to replicate it now, but I find it quite bizarre.

04-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tungsten lighting and a shutter speed >= 1/50s?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Was the effect visible in the viewfinder or only in photos?

Any filter on the lens?

---------- Post added 04-16-17 at 05:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wondered about that, but do flickering lights only affect OOF areas?
04-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam, you are brilliant, thanks. I've never even considered that you have to keep shutter speed below a lights flicker rate. It was florescent lighting, and looking around the net, I see this exact effect. The different color and intensity tones in the same frame is a result I guess of the rolling shutter? I've never had this happen at the same location with my STakumar 50mm 1.4 and was dismayed that my new lens might have issues. This has turned to fascination.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Was the effect visible in the viewfinder or only in photos?

Any filter on the lens?

---------- Post added 04-16-17 at 05:09 PM ----------

I wondered about that, but do flickering lights only affect OOF areas?
No filter, and wasn't visible through the viewfinder. My guess is that the moons aligned and I just happened to catch the flicker in the oof at the right time.

Thanks guys!

Addendum: I'm reading that a few newer cameras have a flicker mode; do any Pentax bodies have this? It syncs the shutter release to correspond with the brightest point in the cycle. Neat stuff.

04-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mizupsi Quote
*snip*
This was so unsightly that I ended up switching lenses--no problem so its not a bad shutter or shutter timing issue I don't think. I'll include a few images that show the problem.

*snip*
BTW, that's a fallacy... the aperture is in the lens, the shutter is in the camera.
04-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
BTW, that's a fallacy... the aperture is in the lens, the shutter is in the camera.
What I mean, is that if the problem went away by switching lenses, then the problem is the lens. Therefore, not a problem with the shutter which is in-body.

Except, it was a problem with the shutter--it was too fast for the lighting. But it wasn't malfunctioning.
Thanks for trying to clarify anyway.