Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Battery for Asahi clip-on Exposure meter

Hello --

Recently acquired a Honeywell Pentax H1A camera with a Asahi CdS Clip-on Exposure Meter Model II. It appears to require a PX625 mercury cell. I know I can get a Wein cell equivalent, but I'm hoping others can offer alternatives. I'm a little wary since it is a light meter and I would want it to be as accurate as possible w/ no issues due to voltage. Can I use 1.5v Zinc oxide with adapter and still retain accurate readings? Does this accessory include a by-pass like Spotmatics where a slight over-voltage will not affect results?

Thanks in advance.

04-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have refurbished several Canon and Olympus rangefinder cameras, which originally took PX625 cells. I have had success with low-cost and readily-available zinc-air hearing aid batteries, number 675 - the exposure meters were accurate. Once activated by removing an adhesive tab, they will self-discharge but will last for several months. The voltage discharge curve is similar to the PX625.

The 675's are smaller in diameter, so they may need to be adapted with a metal ring as a spacer to work in the Asahi meter.

- Craig
04-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I have refurbished several Canon and Olympus rangefinder cameras, which originally took PX625 cells. I have had success with low-cost and readily-available zinc-air hearing aid batteries, number 675 - the exposure meters were accurate. Once activated by removing an adhesive tab, they will self-discharge but will last for several months. The voltage discharge curve is similar to the PX625.

The 675's are smaller in diameter, so they may need to be adapted with a metal ring as a spacer to work in the Asahi meter.

- Craig
I just wanted to confirm. I've ordered some adapter rings and a pack of Zinc Air 675 batteries.

Thanks.
04-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't be too concerned about absolute accuracy or bias in the meter. No two meters are exactly identical and all deserve to be calibrated to a personal standard of your choice.

Using any meter you're comfortable with, say your DSLR in center average mode or...? compare other meters to your 'standard of choice' and build a correction chart for each meter. I use the 'standard' of a totally de-focused view of the clear north sky near mid-day as a standard light source at various useful EV's and ISO's.

It matters not if your meters have noticeably different readings (expect it) so long as they're consistent and reliable after a calibration bias (ISO or manual memory) is applied. Works to correct for battery variations and 'tired' selenium cells too. Tweaking ISO/ASA as a fixed calibration adjustment was common in the pre-digital film days.

If you adopt a specific EV test setting you can monitor deteriorating battery voltage any time you have the requisite light conditions.

Metering is always a relative, subjective and personal judgement matter, not a computer-driven imperative commanded by the metering system.

04-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Metering is always a relative, subjective and personal judgement matter, not a computer-driven imperative commanded by the metering system.
I've already forgotten her name but I read a few days ago that a notable female British tog had passed who used the back of her hand as her exposure sensor. She shot B&W with OM-1's until her death.
04-18-2017, 02:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You are thinking of Jane Bown