Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2017, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fyi, you can use SR with any lens. You just have to dial in the focal length manually on the older ones.

04-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Actually, the lighting will be the most important factor in allowing you to shoot while handheld using different settings, along with the advantages of using or not using the in-camera Pentax SR. When on tripod, the scenario becomes a more simple one if you are shooting some types of landscape or portraits for example, due to being able to shoot at lower shutter speeds, and taking advantage of lower ISO and higher aperture number settings due to lack of camera/lens movement.
04-23-2017, 04:01 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some old advice about hand-holding (from a 1960's issue of either Popular or Modern Photography magazine). Before tripping the shutter, take two forced deep breaths, then a third, exhale halfway, then hold and take the picture.
04-23-2017, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
"In bright light, set the shutter speed to the numerical value of your blood alcohol concentration and the f/stop to 16 minus the number of cans consumed. By the time you finish the entire case, the aperture will be wide enough that any blurring can be explained as 'soft focus technique'. If drinking microbrewery or imported beer, use of the term 'Lomography' might be considered."
At a certain point, other elements such as composition do suffer.

We do a lot of brewery tours and taproom visits. I take the camera along for something to do while not drinking beer. The most difficult tour is New Belgium in Ft. Collins. The tour is an hour and they stop six times to pour everyone a beer. I have a personal beer rule, "the third beer is a mistake". So if I try to sample everything, at the end I'm trying to capture an artistic interpretation of the bottling plant one-handed, beer in the other, trying not to spill on the camera...

04-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #20

Original Poster
I forgot to mention the images were of waterfowl and I just realized water is a fluid medium and it doesn't help with the handheld speed that I used. Another newbie discovery. Static medium is a diff story.

---------- Post added 04-23-17 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

We do a lot of brewery tours and taproom visits. I take the camera along for something to do while not drinking beer. The most difficult tour is New Belgium in Ft. Collins. The tour is an hour and they stop six times to pour everyone a beer. I have a personal beer rule, "the third beer is a mistake". So if I try to sample everything, at the end I'm trying to capture an artistic interpretation of the bottling plant one-handed, beer in the other, trying not to spill on the camera...

lol, love that one
04-23-2017, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

Good point about beer #3. Solution: skip #3 and go straight for #4, 5, & 6!

P.S. Are beer goggles available in a 49 mm filter size?