Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Monochrome in Live View, Color DNG File

Is there a setting that will show monochrome in live view but produce a full color DNG file? The custom image setting for monochrome gives me a monochrome file, and I'd prefer to convert to monochrome in post processing where I have much more control over the image.

Thanks,
Matt

04-23-2017, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Your DNG file contains all the colour information you need. It simply has the JPEG settings added on to it by default but these can be removed.
04-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may still look at the DNG file later and see a monochrome image, because the software is showing you the embedded JPEG preview image.
04-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DNGs are always color

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-23-2017, 10:57 PM   #5

Just set colour mode to BW, liveview will be shown in monochrome. Save image in DNG and it will be full colour anyway.
04-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well, color me stupid. When playing around with this, I had looked at the images in the Lightroom import screen, saw they were monochrome and didn't take the next step of actually importing them and watching LR build color previews. Thanks very much everyone for your help!