Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Famous last words

04-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It doesn't matter if you have Windows 7; MS has been pushing updates to move people to Windows 10. Ref: Microsoft starts downloading Windows 10 automatically through Windows Update | Technology | The Guardian
04-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It doesn't matter if you have Windows 7; MS has been pushing updates to move people to Windows 10. Ref: Microsoft starts downloading Windows 10 automatically through Windows Update | Technology | The Guardian
I took care of that a while ago.
It (Windows) has no longer pushed the update to Win10 ... happy camper here!
referring to: GWX Control Panel.
04-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
That article is over one year old. Microsoft stopped the update nags and auto updates when the free update to Windows 10 ended July 29, 2016.

04-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not, I still find, now and then, MS pushing Win10 "updates" under the Optional in Win7 60 here at home. I also downloaded free "update" install .iso from MS this past weekend, so, no that hasn't stopped.

jpzk, if you've got GWX Control Panel, you're covered.
04-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Which Temp folder do you mean?[COLOR="Silver"]
localdisk:/users/*your username*/AppData/Local/Temp
The files will usually be called something like "Photoshop Temp152258354612" and have no file type. If you run disk cleanup it should clear out your Temp directory.
04-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmmm...just get a Mac...check out Craig's List in you area and get a slightly used iMac, it's wroth it. I have a late 2009 27" iMac. I pulled out the HDD and replaced with a 2 TB HDD, put in 12 GB of RAM for cheap and it runs better than any new model PC. The display is not a 4K but is beautiful - calibrated with my ColorMonkey.

04-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ldj4549 Quote
Hmmmm...just get a Mac...check out Craig's List in you area and get a slightly used iMac, it's wroth it. I have a late 2009 27" iMac. I pulled out the HDD and replaced with a 2 TB HDD, put in 12 GB of RAM for cheap and it runs better than any new model PC. The display is not a 4K but is beautiful - calibrated with my ColorMonkey.
Apple computers rely on virtual memory, too, so "just get a Mac" is really not helpful

The OP's computer is not broken or bugged in any way. He just needed to understand what was happening.

Some examples of similar issues on Mac:
macos - Is there a way to limit the size of the disk swap file in Mac OS X? - Ask Different
Setting pagefile size manually | MacRumors Forums
04-24-2017, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be smart about your system setup, re-think the way you operate.

I would never run a computer with only one disk. This simply means your system files and your data files are all on one disk. Mixed up. Even if you part off your one disk with another partition and use this one to store data only, you still have everything on the one disk. This could spell trouble.

If, as you say, you are ready to buy another SSD you might as well keep your current disk to only run your system, buy another SSD (the biggest you can afford, they are not too expensive now) and install this which then would most likely be Disk D:\

Now you can offload all your non-system files on to D:\, and as a side benefit it makes it easier to back-up all your data much more cleanly. It also enables you to swap in and out other data disks as needed. See the link below. You can have a whole library of small disks (and they don't have to be SSDs although small SSDs are so cheap now and non SSDs are cheaper still) Your separate system disk C:\ will also allow you to change Systems (in future) if it is ever needed or desired without compromising any data. If you invest in a Disk cloning program (Acronis) and another small SSD you could clone your system disk for save keeping. I for example always clone at least one new copy of the system disk every other week and when I try new software (like a free evaluation) I do a clone before installing it. If I don't like it I just clone back the original. Quicker and safer than uninstalling which always leaves stuff behind. Cloning a small system SSD takes only minutes.

This is what I use:
Removable Rack Tray for 2 Bays 2.5in Hot Swap SATA Hard Disk Mobile Rack | eBay

Hope I make sense, and good luck.

Cheers

P.S.
With this Disk Rack you can quickly remove the data disk (with all your pictures) when you go on a holiday and hide it for safe keeping.
If some low life knocks off your computer he or she will only have a computer with a system disk.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-24-2017 at 09:50 PM.
04-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
The OP's computer is not broken or bugged in any way. He just needed to understand what was happening.
I do now !
04-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
localdisk:/users/*your username*/AppData/Local/Temp
The files will usually be called something like "Photoshop Temp152258354612" and have no file type. If you run disk cleanup it should clear out your Temp directory.
Looking into that, Thanks!

Edit: just browsed this folder ... empty!
I regularly do a Disk Cleanup once a week ... so it is "always" empty.

Last edited by jpzk; 04-26-2017 at 07:13 PM.
05-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #27

I took care of that a while ago.
It (Windows) has no longer pushed the update to Win10 ... happy camper here!
referring to: GWX Control Panel.
You can still upgrade to win 10 with no charge.
Download the trial, upgrade win7 and you will get a serial number good for your machine only free of charge
05-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
You can still upgrade to win 10 with no charge.
Download the trial, upgrade win7 and you will get a serial number good for your machine only free of charge
What happens when the trial period is over?
05-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What happens when the trial period is over?
I was told (this week) that you'd have to buy the licence.
05-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #30

I was told (this week) that you'd have to buy the licence.
I will let you know after 3 months.
I know Microsoft gave me a legitimate serial.

I upgrade win7 with the trial
I got a serial number.
I replace my HD with a SSD
I did a clean installation with the serial Microsoft gave me
I register and verify with this serial
And voilà.
Genuine Win 10. As long as you do not replace your motherboard

Good luck
Search Google you will find the answer.