Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

Best way to fire my AF360FGZII removed from the K-3II hot shoe

I just bought a K-3ii and have learned that I can't fire my new AF360FGZII flash externally held without having another flash on the hot shoe to trigger it. This is my first dslr and I can't afford a second flash right now. I have seen posts about using the Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 and also posts about using a sync cable connected to the X-sync socket and other cables that connect to the camera's hot shoe then to the flash's connectors. I would appreciate information and pros & cons of different methods. Thanks for your knowledge and time. blb511

04-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first question that comes to mind is what sort of shooting you're doing. Do you just want the flash off the hotshoe but still neatly within reach, or do you need to be able to move the camera freely around while the flash stays put (or vice versa)? If it's the latter, you are probably better going for wireless transmitters. If you are shooting relatively unmoving objects in a static setup, or you are putting the flash on some sort of oversized L bracket still mounted to the camera, there are cords available (OEM and third party) which give full P-TTL protocol connection between the camera's hotshoe and the flash unit if that's what you think you need.

If you go via the sync port, you are on your own - the sync port transmits only the 'fire' command, and you have to handle power settings yourself - either via guesswork, chimping, or an exposure meter that does flash.

Even if you had an original K-3, the problem with using the on-camera flash as the master controller is that sometimes the disposition of camera and flash as dictated by the scene may be such as not to reliably trigger the flash unit. IR remote triggers have a similar problem. Radio triggers do not suffer this issue.
04-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A hotshoe cable will give you the same functionality as if the flash were attached to the camera. That's probably the way to go if you want to maintain all of the flash's native functionality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Adam. A hotshoe cable gives full P-TTL, whereas X-sync doesn't.

If you want genuine Pentax, you'd need the Pentax Shoe Adapter F, the Pentax off-camera Adapter F, and the Pentax Extension cord F5P (3') or F5PL (9.5'). Very expensive.

Alternatively, the VELLO Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord is all-in-one and only $16, if a 3' cord is long enough (i.e., hand held or bracket).

I have two flashes, so can use optical triggering. Otherwise, wireless may suit you.

04-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you need more distance than a cable can give you and don't want to spend a large amount, the Cactus V5 set of two will give you flexibility for off camera flash positioning. Using Manual mode with this type of product is effective. Below is a shortcut to the product on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Cactus-V5-Wireless-Flash-Trigger/dp/B005DFI5ZY/ref=sr...ords=Cactus+v5

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.