Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

K50 User Mode Settings always change. What can i do?

Hello, everybody.
I bought the Pentax K50 for its User Modes U1 and U2.

Now i want to set U1 to

1/160th Shutterspeed
f 5,6
ISO 1600

i save these settings in the Menu. But everytime i change something, my settings will not be resetted when i change the dial back and foreward to U1.
What am i doing wrong?
Pls Help

04-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Are you doing the following?

To set up a User profile, the user simply has to set up the camera the way they want it, go to the Save USER Mode submenu on page 4 of the Record menu, select Save Settings, and choose the slot they want the settings to be stored in. USER1 and USER2 can also be renamed to give the user a visual reminder of which USER mode does what.

Note that AUTO, SCN, and Movie modes cannot be used as the basis for a User profile.

When U1 or U2 are selected from the mode dial, the LCD will display the detailed parameters the user has set for the given USER mode. You can press the OK button to dismiss this screen and return to the main status display.

Read more at: Pentax K-50 Review - Image Shooting Modes | PentaxForums.com Reviews
04-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think user modes can be used to force a certain shutter speed / aperture, since those will depend on the ambient light levels. But, it sounds like in your case you'd benefit from a user mode that puts the camera in M and disables auto ISO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think user modes can be used to force a certain shutter speed / aperture, since those will depend on the ambient light levels. But, it sounds like in your case you'd benefit from a user mode that puts the camera in M and disables auto ISO.
Thanks JohnX and Adam,

Yes i am saving the parameters like you said JohnX but the changes will appear always again...

Adam, why is it not possible to force shutter speed and aperture? i am doing it with my canon and nikon?
If its not possible then what is the point of having U1 U2 if they are just manual modes only.
not evet the ISO stays preadjusted.

04-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by msac Quote
But everytime i change something, my settings will not be resetted when i change the dial back and foreward to U1.
What am i doing wrong?
If I am reading this correctly, yours is a recurring question on this site and one that does not have an easy explanation. The short answer is what Adam said above. I can't work out the full details right now (just got in the door from a trip to Alaska), but would encourage you to fiddle with your camera so that you know what to expect. There was a thread on this site about a year or so ago on the topic, if you want to go through the trouble of trying to find it. The happy answer is that the behavior is consistent and logical, if not what you would like it to do. (E.g. Most people who have asked similar questions want to retain set exposure start values in a User mode.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-25-2017 at 03:10 PM.
04-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't work out the full details right now (just got in the door from a trip to Alaska)
OK, here is the executive summary:
  • User modes are fully independent of other modes on the dial. Settings active in a User mode should not affect user-set values in another mode.*
  • Supported user-set values should stay the same as when originally saved across on/off cycles. Note that the list of supported settings varies from model to model. On the K-3, all three elements of the exposure triangle are saved (aperture, shutter, and ISO), while the K-50 does not save aperture or shutter speed. If unsure, the "Check Saved Settings" feature should provide a detailed list.**
  • Within a session, if a value is changed in one of the User modes, that value will stay the same for that User mode until the camera is turned on/off or until manually set to something else. To the best of my knowledge, there is no "return to saved settings" button or function.
Example where the camera model supports save of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed:
  1. The saved settings for User1 include Av exposure automation with initial aperture and ISO set to f/8 and ISO 400 respectively
  2. The user turns the camera on while in Av mode and notes that aperture is set to 2.8 with ISO at 1600
  3. The user switches to User1 and notes that the saved values of f/8 and ISO 400 are now active
  4. The user adjusts the aperture to f/5.6 with ISO to 200 (User1 mode) and takes several photos with good results
  5. The user now switches to Av mode and notes that the settings are still f/2.8 at ISO 1600 and adjusts the aperture to f/11 and takes several photos with good results
  6. Switching back to User1 mode, the settings are still f/5.6 at ISO 200
  7. The user allows the camera to "snooze" and when woken back up, the aperture is still f/5.6 and the ISO 200
  8. The user turns the camera off and comes back later for more shooting. The camera is turned on in User1 mode and the aperture is f/8 and ISO 400 as originally stored.
I hope this helps. Saved User modes are an extremely powerful tool for users who have a frequent need for specific settings. In some ways they are equivalent to a second, dedicated, body. If the above does not help, it would help us if you provide a stepwise description of what is not working as you anticipate. (For example, I have no idea what you mean by "force".)

Steve

* There may be some variation in behavior between bodies.

** This post has been edited after finding out that the supported saved settings vary by model. I unintentionally led the OP astray. The list in the user manual may not be complete. To be certain how a User mode is set up and which settings are saved, the "Check Saved Setting" feature will provide the details.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-26-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Edited to emphasize that the supported saved settings may vary between camera models
04-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

...why is it not possible to force shutter speed and aperture? i am doing it with my canon and nikon?
If its not possible then what is the point of having U1 U2 if they are just manual modes only.
not evet the ISO stays preadjusted.
BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The first point is that your Pentax is neither a Nikon nor a Canon. Sometimes that is a good thing and other times not. The second point is that you can save any of the user-set values listed on page 170 of the (English version) user manual. You can also change (force?) any of those while shooting in the user mode without screwing up your previously saved settings.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-25-2017 at 04:39 PM.
04-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hey steve, on my k50 it will not turn to my preset. Ive read the manual and doing exactly how its written.
Even if i take out the battery the settings will not change to my preset.

I could upload pics maybe you will see the prpblem

04-26-2017, 05:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
now i played a little more with the cam...
its saving everything but the shutter speed and aperture.

i want to adjust the camera and give it to somebody who doesnt know to adjust the camera, even if they accidentally change the settings they should be able switch the camera off and everything is back on my preset.
04-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think showing a video of you doing all the steps from saving the user mode to turning the camera back on and turning the mode dial to U1 would be the most foolproof way to find out what's wrong, if that would be possible
04-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
i took the video now its uploading.

---------- Post added 04-26-17 at 06:29 AM ----------

Here is the video how im doing it
04-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i want to adjust the camera and give it to somebody who doesnt know to adjust the camera, even if they accidentally change the settings they should be able switch the camera off and everything is back on my preset.
I guess saving aperture A, shutter speed S and iso I so that upon turning on the camera or or turning the mode dial to one of the user modes the camera will be set to exactly A, S and I is not possible.

If you tell that someone that if he/she has accidentally altered those settings, he/she has to restart the camera and put it in U1 in order to restore the settings, you could take a different approach. Save Av with AutoISO in your desired range with exposure compensation set to a desired value and focus settings etc. to U1, tell the person to do the same as with your desired approach, but tell them on top of that to turn the dial to your desired aperture. Not that big of a deal, is it? Or go one step further and save settings in TAv (or M with a fixed ISO) as U1 and tell them to adjust shutter speed and aperture to the values that you prefer.
04-26-2017, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

i took the video now its uploading.

---------- Post added 04-26-17 at 06:29 AM ----------

Pentax K50 user mode question - YouTube

Here is the video how im doing it
Thanks for the video. It is very helpful.

Features are usually pretty consistent between Pentax models, but this is one case where the flagship K-3 (my camera) and the K-50 differ. I had the K-3 in hand when I wrote my comment. I have also shot with a K-50 and am fairly familiar with the camera, but have never used the User mode feature on that body and neglected to carefully go through the list of settings in the user manual.* Aperture and shutter speed are not on the list for your camera. Please accept my apologies for leading you astray.

What you are seeing is the expected behavior for your camera. Since you purchased the K-50 specifically for this feature, this discovery is probably a disappointment. Sorry

Steve

* I have edited my comment above. Although the user manual for the K-50 was useful in this case, that for my K-3 is incomplete. For that reason, I recommend reviewing what was saved using the "Check Saved Settings" function to help make sure there are no surprises later.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-26-2017 at 01:57 PM.
04-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses.
I guess i have to find a way to teach the persons to turn 2 dials 😅
05-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
Forum Member

I'm still trying to understand what you're wanting to achieve. If you set up the camera like in the top post, everything is fixed and thus, you can only get a correctly exposed image if the lighting is also fixed and matching the values you gave, which IMHO could only happen in a dedicated studio setup.

If you just want to give the camera to someone to point and shoot with the given aperture and shutter speed, why don't you switch to TAv, set the ISO range to the limit you gave (on the K-50, you can also go up to 3200 without thinking to much about it, the sensor is good enough), dial in 1/160s and f/5.6 and tell the person not to touch the dials? The camera will memorize the aperture and speed settings even when switched off, so that it will come up with them again. You could also tell the person how to restore the values with the dials should they accidentally be changed.

From there, you could then educate the person about the effects of changes of the aperture and the shutter speed and thus enhance his or her photographic skills.