Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Manual 15mm lens and shutter speed

Setting focus to manual and setting exposure dial to M,when shooting with a manual lens I set the aperture on the lens and set the shutter speed with the camera. When pressing the shutter release (K-1), the camera changes the shutter speed even though the shutter is set to manual. Why? Seems the camera should leave the shutter speed to what I set. In case it matters, the lens is a Laowa Venus 15mm macro.

04-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by duogl Quote
Setting focus to manual and setting exposure dial to M,when shooting with a manual lens I set the aperture on the lens and set the shutter speed with the camera. When pressing the shutter release (K-1), the camera changes the shutter speed even though the shutter is set to manual. Why? Seems the camera should leave the shutter speed to what I set. In case it matters, the lens is a Laowa Venus 15mm macro.
2 questions? Do you have the custom option 4 set to on? Are you trying to use a P-TTL flash?
04-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens appears not to have an "A" Automatic setting (or you are not using it.) In this case the lens is being treated as a fully manual lens and as you press the shutter button, the camera is metering and setting an appropriate shutter speed for you.

Enable the "use lens without A" setting and press the green button before taking a photo. The camera will then meter the scene and obtain a matching shutter speed for your selected aperture.

Regards

Chris
04-28-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
The lens appears not to have an "A" Automatic setting (or you are not using it.) In this case the lens is being treated as a fully manual lens and as you press the shutter button, the camera is metering and setting an appropriate shutter speed for you.

The lens appears to have no aperture coupling at all, so any change will result in the aperture opening or closing ....a bit like using a screw-mount Takumar lens. In that case the OP is better off using Av mode where the camera will set a shutter speed for him.

In Manual exposure mode the shutter speed should not change unless the green button is pressed; or the camera has a flash mounted that is not set to HSS and a selected speed above 1/200; or perhaps auto-bracket was selected

Last edited by pschlute; 04-28-2017 at 04:50 AM.
04-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
2 questions? Do you have the custom option 4 set to on? Are you trying to use a P-TTL flash?
Have it enabled and will try tomorrow. No flash.
Thanks for the quick reply

---------- Post added 04-28-17 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote

Enable the "use lens without A" setting and press the green button before taking a photo. The camera will then meter the scene and obtain a matching shutter speed for your selected aperture.

Regards

Chris
Lens is completely manual. I've selected Under Custom, item 26 ' Using Aperture Ring
' I've set the choice to Enable".
Is that the same as "Use lens without A"?
It has an aperture ring but no "A" setting.
And thanks for the tip.
04-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens is completely manual. I've selected Under Custom, item 26 ' Using Aperture Ring
' I've set the choice to Enable".
Is that the same as "Use lens without A"?
It has an aperture ring but no "A" setting.
Yes that is the same setting.

On a lens that will stop down physically when you turn the aperture ring, you can use M or Av for exposure. Best procedure is to focus while the lens is wide open (so you can see clearly !), then stop down for capture.