Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

1.4 multiplier on K1

I have tried using the pentax 1.4 multiplier on a pentax 150-450 mm lens on a full frame K! camera and noticed that the image was cropped! In fact when using the lens alone the image size was 7360 x 4912 while with the multiplier the image size is 4800 x 3200 and you will also get a black rectangular box in the viewfinder. I never read anything that this would happen with a multiplier on a full frame camera. I asked a fried of mine who uses a multiplier on a different camera make and he told me that it keeps its full frame function.

04-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it's the DA 1.4 AW converter it is not full frame. You can use it and select FF in the menu, but you will get some vignetting in the corners.
04-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jdou Quote
I have tried using the pentax 1.4 multiplier on a pentax 150-450 mm lens on a full frame K! camera and noticed that the image was cropped! In fact when using the lens alone the image size was 7360 x 4912 while with the multiplier the image size is 4800 x 3200 and you will also get a black rectangular box in the viewfinder. I never read anything that this would happen with a multiplier on a full frame camera. I asked a fried of mine who uses a multiplier on a different camera make and he told me that it keeps its full frame function.
Yup, the 150-450mm is one of the many lenses which will produce heavy vignetting when paired with the DA (crop) teleconverter. Virtually all other teleconverters out there are full frame, but with a few notable exceptions I'm not sure they will do much to improve the image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2017, 04:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
If it's the DA 1.4 AW converter it is not full frame. You can use it and select FF in the menu, but you will get some vignetting in the corners.
thanks
j

04-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The tamron is full frame and according to pentax forums nearly as good as the DA 1.4x. I think it loses a bit in the corners over the DA, so that might be worse on a full frame camera. That said corners might not matter in most cases you would be using a TC anyways. edit: I don't know if the tamron has the powerzoom/AF pins. Something to possibly consider.

edit: Looks like the MC4 has the connectors. I wonder if it passes lens information correctly and would support electronic aperture since the pins are all simple pass through.