Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

Upgrading my K50

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking in upgrading my K-50 (about 10k actuation and 1,5 years). I am very happy with it but I am mainly afraid about the aperture block failure. I am thinking in trying to sell it and upgrade to another model.
The options are K-70 and K-3II (I don’t consider the KP as the price seems to be very high and I don’t see an advantage over the K-3II). I have read that the K-70 share the aperture motor with the K-50 so it can suffer the same problem. This leaves me only one option, the K3II, being a semi-pro camera I can expect a longer life. I have not read about any common issue with the K3II, right?
So, my question is, do you think it does worth buying a K3II (being a 2013 camera is not cutting edge technology), and will be the K-50 easy to resell?
If I do finally upgrade, I would do it in the next 1-2months as I am leaving Canada (I am from Spain and in Canada for work) and the cost of the K3II is about 200€ more expensive in Europe.

Thanks for your opinions!

05-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd buy a K-3II (or wait a few more months for its replacement) and consider keeping the K-50 as a second/backup body....
05-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

How much do you use your inbuilt flash? Remember that the K3-II doesn't have one.

Ask yourself what you will gain by moving up to the K3-II, and whether you actually need this capability. I have the K-5, and if I had been sticking with APS-C instead of going to full-frame, I would not have upgraded for a very long time. For APS-C, the K-5 is all I need.

In fact, if my *istDL had not died back when the K-5 was still a current flagship camera, I would possibly still be shooting happily with the *istDL (6MP, no shake reduction, worse low-light performance, etc).

(If Pentax comes out with a wide to short tele (18-55 or thereabouts) lens with PLM technology, this will bypass the aperture block failure issue on the K-50; users will then have access to a two-lens set which will suit most amateurs' needs and not require the aperture block.)
05-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

No wireless flash on the K-70.

05-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3II is 2015 vintage, so not that old - the original K-3 was from 2013. No built-in flash, but for travelling, the built-in GPS would serve you well. No known aperture block issues with the K-3 family as far as I'm aware. The AA-free 24MP sensor gives very sharp images with good glass and good technique. The shutter is rated for 200k actuations, so plenty of life there.
05-04-2017, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used to worry about the aperture block failure.... until I discovered Takumars! Even today I am still wowed by the 16mp sensor in my K30. I always think about upgrading until I pixel peep some shots where the focus was nailed with a very sharp lens and I just can't justify selling it. I'd say keep what you have and worry when or if a problem shows up.
05-04-2017, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An old K-50 body won't get that much resale value...if you're happy with its performance, keep it until it breaks...it might never do.

05-04-2017, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Even today I am still wowed by the 16mp sensor in my K30.
That sensor was a legend, and seems to remain so. Black magic. There can be no other explanation.
05-04-2017, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'd suggest just buying a K-3II & keeping the K-50. Even if it were to fail, you can still use the new 55-300 PLM lens if you have the latest firmware installed. All future KAF4 lenses will have the aperture control inside the lens & won't rely on the body for the aperture to work. More KAF4 lenses will eventually come. You can also use lenses with aperture rings as well. The majority of them are older manual lenses, but there are a few that have AF capabilities.
05-04-2017, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If it does break, you can buy the AA adapter and some Eneloops and keep using it with what ever lenses you want.
05-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If the only reason to change your K-50 is the fear of ABF, it's not a good reason. Your camera will not get you much money on the used market anyway. Just keep it until it breaks, which may well never happen, or you really feel the need for a feature unavailable on your K-50.
05-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my beloved K50 starting to develop the Black frame issue, was looking around and found an incredible deal on a K3 combo with low shutter count and jumped on it. K3 is amazing camera, very quiet, fast focusing and decisive too. K3 noise when compared to K50 is different. K50 has best picture quality up to ISO 6400 but K3 will use only till 1600 (at least for my liking).

I am still using the K50 with an AA adapter, no issues. Adam suggested the new PLM lens which I will eventually buy and keep using the K50. My 11 yr old son will get the K50 while I chug along the heavier K3 kit, good combo for hiking and bird watching.

So like others mentioned if you want a second one, get K3 or K3-II depending on need for using Flash. Or else get the K70 with extended warranty for peace of mind.

Even better save money and get the K-1
05-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
I also have a K01 and many film cameras, thats why I was thinking in selling the K50 if I finally bought the K3II.

My idea was upgrading to the K3II now that I can buy it 20% cheaper in Canada than in Europe. Also that camera should last much longer than the K50, not only for its expected life but for the features it has.

I have now even more doubts than before
05-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K30 and K50. The K3ii is currently available at a good price in the UK and recently had a free battery grip as well. I took advantage of that offer for a few reasons:-

1) The aperture block issue was at the back of my mind (although I also have a K100D which I could cannibalise for two solenoids to keep the K30/K50 working).
2) The price was good and the free battery grip
3) Likely price rises due to Pentax's apparent intention to move "up market".
4) Possible prices rises due to currency changes.
5) Better camera construction and specs of the K3ii.

I have to say I'm impressed with the quality and feel of the K3ii and with the results I'm getting from it.

I've always preferred having two cameras be they film SLRs or DSLRs, so I would buy the K3ii and keep the K50. I know little of the K01 to comment on that.

I will keep the K30/K50 as their monetary value is not significant, and I will use them turnabout as my backup camera on photo expeditions. If I were to need to buy any cameras in the future, they would be at the level of the K3ii or it's successors, rather than the K30/50/70 line as the build quality looks and feels so much better(albeit heavier). The KP is also attractive, but too pricey compared to the K3ii at the moment and that pricing is partly behind point 3) above.
05-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imerino Quote
I also have a K01 and many film cameras, thats why I was thinking in selling the K50 if I finally bought the K3II.

My idea was upgrading to the K3II now that I can buy it 20% cheaper in Canada than in Europe. Also that camera should last much longer than the K50, not only for its expected life but for the features it has.

I have now even more doubts than before
In that case, just unload the K-50. The K-01 is essentially a K-50 sans the mirrorbox & OVF. Same exact sensor & IQ.

I can see that the K-50 cameras still fetch a decent price on eBay. I see bodies selling for about +-$200 or so. They average about +$250 with the 18-55 kit lens & about +-$300 for the 18-55 & 50-200 kit lenses. There are some ridiculously priced bodies at the moment. Like a red body that has been sitting on eBay for months 'cause they want $400 for it. It's never going to sell.