Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #1

K10D shakes with shutter open

Hi! I love shooting with slow shutter speeds, but my K10D shakes every 0.5 second that the shutter is open, leaving blurry lines in my low light shots! I can only shoot at 0.3" or faster without the problem!

I realise my camera is really old, but I would love to know if there's a way I can manually service it to fix the problem, or if anyone else has experienced anything similar!

05-06-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it the sensor cleaning function operating ? Is shake reduction off ? You could try changing the sensor cleaning options or doing a factory reset to see if that helps.
05-06-2017, 02:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your reply - it gave me some hope! Shake reduction was off. It may be like the sensor cleaning function operating, but only for one shake. I've just now tried turning shake reduction on and off, as well as resetting. By factory reset, do you mean the reset option in the set-up tab of the menu?

The problem is still persisting unfortunately, although after switching shake reduction on, I was able to have the shutter open for 1" without a shake, but then it went back to its' old 0.5" shake frequency for subsequent pictures. As I reset and experiment with turning shake reduction on and off I can sometimes get it to go for 2" now with irregular shake intervals of around a second.

Wow - with my most recent try, it did several small shakes in one second! So it appears that altering the settings is having some effect, but I'm not quite sure what or why! Perhaps something to do with the sensor cleaning hardware could be loose ?

I just put the mirror up in sensor cleaning mode and the exact same rhythmic shaking happens - should the sensor be stationary in this mode?

Last edited by Kev1n; 05-06-2017 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Clarification
05-06-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sensor should be still in mirror-up sensor cleaning mode. The other cleaning function....a self clean is where the camera via the SR system gives the sensor a shake, and can be done on demand or by choosing the option "on startup".

It sounds to me that it is the latter that is malfunctioning and causing the shake when you dont want it. I would suggest the reset option. Also after a reset , update your firmware to the latest ... v 1.3 I believe

If you still have the problem, I fear the camera is beyond economical repair.

05-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also suggest as a last resort trying leaving the battery out for a long long time. Something may be wrong in the programming that will get reset by extended lack of power. I don't know how long that could take or if it will help. Last but not least if someone can modify the last firmware to appear newer / threads about this may exist / you could try refreshing the firmware.
05-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #6

K10 shake

I assume you use timer release setup to 3 seconds before shutter fires and a tripod to limit movement.
05-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

The dust removal and sensor clean on startup work as normal, but the sensor definitely shakes rhythmically when I have the mirror up. I checked and my firmware is 1.31, which I think is the latest. I too suspect it's beyond economic repair, although it's still fine for shots faster than 0.5", it looks as though I may have to get another camera for light painting and other long exposure shots.

I'm going to leave the battery out for a week or so and see if that helps.

In low light with long exposures I do use a tripod and timer release - thanks for checking!