Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Hood for Sigma 70-200mm

Just bought a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 for a bargain. Part of the bargain was the lens hood was the wrong one. It's this version here. Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
There's very little replacement lens hoods for this that I can see online. A genuine one on ebay costs a fortune. Does anyone know if the generic ones for Nikon and Canon 70-200mm would fit the Sigma lens? There's plenty of them available

Cheers

Steve

05-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you have the same issue I had 2 years ago (almost to the exact day!). See here: Lens hood part number for Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX? - PentaxForums.com

I contacted Sigma and was told that the hood to fit the older APO EX lens was no longer available. I also bought a Sigma 70-200 hood from KEH - they couldn't tell me which version of the lens it was for, but for the price I took a gamble (and lost - anyone want to buy a hood for the later version? ). The hood for the newer versions is slightly larger and does not attach securely to my lens. A local camera store had this one - https://www.amazon.com/Promaster-77mm-Universal-Lens-Hood/dp/B0039PIRGM?tag=pentaxforums-20& - but at the time I was still on the hunt for an OEM hood. I ended up with an unbranded, screw-in metal hood that reverses for storage, and it's been fine. It provides enough protection for the front element, and while it's not as deep as the OEM petal hood, I think it still helps with flare/contrast/etc without causing any vignetting in the corners.
05-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just a note for using the short metal hoods, the ones that I have, Can be stacked . For instance an 82 mm can stack on a 77 mm hood. At least that's what mine will do. It gives you better contrast on longer focal lengths and you can remove the extensions for the shorter focal lengths. the added advantage is you can stack them one inside the other for storage.