Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cable release question

Hi, I just bought an after market cable release for my K5. When I connected it and pressed the button nothing happened no auto focus or anything. I had the camera set on green mode ( automatic). Do I need to set it for something else? There are no instructions in the manual on this. Thanks, Jim

05-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you need to set your camera to allow for a remote? Somewhere in the menu......

Last edited by brightseal; 05-07-2017 at 11:33 AM.
05-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldseabee Quote
Cable release question
I use IR remote, 1) it's even better for avoiding camera shake and 2) it is much smaller and contact-less. 3) on Pentax K5,K3,K1 it works from and back of the camera.
Just my 2 cents.
05-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cable release for K3II

Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a cable remote release or does it have to be an IR remote

05-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The remote setting has to do with a Drive mode setting, but may only be needed for IR remote. You may want to test. I use the following wired remote (cable) successfully with my K-3II and K-5IIs. It derives its power from the camera battery, so it does not require a battery of its own.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-07-2017 at 12:35 PM.
05-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #6

Check to see if the plug is all the way in. It's the 2.5mm plug right?
05-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The remote setting has to do with a Drive mode setting, but may only be needed for IR remote. You may want to test. I use the following wired remote (cable) successfully with my K-3II and K-5IIs. It derives its power from the camera battery, so it does not require a battery of its own.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
Does it plug into the headphone terminal? it's the only place I can see
05-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Look for the "cable release terminal". It is located near the bottom of the right side of the camera as you are looking at the camera from behind it. It should have a little cover you open to access it.

05-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Look for the "cable release terminal". It is located near the bottom of the right side of the camera as you are looking at the camera from behind it. It should have a little cover you open to access it.
Of course I can see it now, That's great thanks for your help
05-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You're welcome.
05-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldseabee Quote
Hi, I just bought an after market cable release for my K5. When I connected it and pressed the button nothing happened no auto focus or anything. I had the camera set on green mode ( automatic). Do I need to set it for something else? There are no instructions in the manual on this. Thanks, Jim
G'day mate,

So long as you have the correct connection mentioned already (2.5mm jack) it should work.

I use a Canon wired cable and it works fine. However, the Vello wired cable I also have has an L shaped jack shroud and I had problems with it not seating correctly in the camera socket. To address this I tapered the end of the plastic shroud so the jack would sit in the socket correctly. There is a plastic piece around the socket on the camera and it was catching on this. By reducing the diameter of the jack shroud on the cable it was able to fit into the socket correctly. To check to see if this is relevant in your case test it normally just with the cable plugged in. If it still doesn't fire then push and hold the cable into the camera socket. It didn't take much pressure and if this allows the cable to communicate to the camera it's a case of the jack not seating correctly, something that is easy to resolve.

Another thing to consider is the locking piece on the cable switch. Ensure it hasn't locked on as it's easy to do and just as easy to miss that it's happened and this will prevent operation as well. Speaking from experience.

So far as whether there is any restrictions with the camera settings, you don't need to change drive mode to use the cable remote unless you intend to use something like mirror lock up. I don't know wether there's any restriction to using the green setting with a remote cable but for info on the K5 you can access the electronic version of the manual from here: Pentax Camera Manual Downloads - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Hopefully the above helps if not, good luck with finding the solution.

Tas
05-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got a Vello cable release a while ago, and while it does work, it really has to be fully pushed in. Unfortunately, it has the tendency to slip out ever so slightly so that it doesn't work until I push it back in. While the slippage is barely noticeable, it causes the cable to stop working on both the K5 and the K50.
05-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Check to see if the plug is all the way in. It's the 2.5mm plug right?
I second that and also the message just above. On my K-1 if the plug isn't firmly seated the camera goes blank. Not really a problem though - this rarely happens and with a gentle push on the plug the camera always starts. On mine the plug never loosens or slips out once seated but if it isn't pushed in quite far enough when first installed this happens.