Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2017, 02:32 AM   #1

Using IR remote on the k1

Hi everyone, sorry for the question but I'll be damned if I can resolve the question on my own. My cable release for my k1 just broke. For precision timing purposes and to minimize shake I have always used mirror up. I am trying to decide whether to go wireless or not, so the q is, if if I go IR can I still select the mirror up function. I am aware that in timer mode it is enabled, however my timing for wave shots especially is very important, so mirror up is a must. Any help, greatly appreciated

05-10-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From our review:

Infrared remote control. Three settings are available: Immediate release, 3 seconds delay with mirror up, and continuous shooting.
In the continuous mode one can set the speed (high, medium, low). Shooting starts at the first press on the remote and ends with a second press.

Those are the only 3 IR drive modes AFAIK. One workaround could be to use EFCS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2017, 03:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only use the IR remote. I have a cable but rarely use it. If you shoot in Liveview the mirror is already up which is what I do.
05-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #4

Have both, prefer cable 1000 times, cable is just like shooting with the normal button, meaning you have acess to all modes, and the benefit you can lock it down, so by example if you want to take a 100 images composite and compile it in camera, it's easy, remote not so much, you are confined to the modes that IR remote allow.

05-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also have both. Typically use the IR remote out of convenience. It should work well for your shooting waves unless you are too far away. The cable is nice for catch-in-focus in that you can lock it down and walk away waiting for a bird (or whatever) to enter the focus plane. Can't do that with an IR remote.
05-10-2017, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would use the 1. phone app and WiFi on the camera (has all the basic settings available).
The other option is if your phone has an IR port then use the phone app that sends IR signals just as the physical IR remote if you just need IR. I used the IR all the time in K-5ii. With the K-1 I like the phone app better.