Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Or, just download Silkypix 8 (30 days free) from SILKYPIX RAW Conversion and Photo Correction Software for Photographers
It´s better than DCU.

08-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
@mcleoud151
The reason why Ricoh/Pentax do handle access to the DCU software different from manuals and firmware downloads, is quite obvious.
Manuals and firmware are Pentax property, and using them does only make sense for Pentax camera owners. The first owner of the camera payed for the development when he bought the camera.

This is quite different with DCU. It is based on SilkyPix, and I guess Ricoh has to pay something like $20 for every camera produced. Mind that DCU handles pictures saved as DNG independent from the camera brand. SilkyPix studio prices have varied in the past, but usually are something like $100-150 (the cheaper download version). If you could get it for free from Pentax (even if it is based on an older version), Pentax would for sure have to pay a licence fee for every downloaded file.

Some years ago you could get the CD from an European Pentax distributor for about $50. At that time I tried to get DCU4 for my K200D (DCU3 had a terrible user interface and, on many computers, caused all kinds of problems on installation). I finally found an US company which had bought a bulk of K-5s, and offered the redundant CDs through eBay for $20 plus (low) shipping cost.
All well and good, but it's still 2017. Give users a one-time-code to download the software. I understand WHY, but that doesn't mean it's good business. I love Pentax and have been a Pentaxian for over twenty years, but this is just silly.
07-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
@mcleoud151
The reason why Ricoh/Pentax do handle access to the DCU software different from manuals and firmware downloads, is quite obvious.
Manuals and firmware are Pentax property, and using them does only make sense for Pentax camera owners. The first owner of the camera payed for the development when he bought the camera.

This is quite different with DCU. It is based on SilkyPix, and I guess Ricoh has to pay something like $20 for every camera produced. Mind that DCU handles pictures saved as DNG independent from the camera brand. SilkyPix studio prices have varied in the past, but usually are something like $100-150 (the cheaper download version). If you could get it for free from Pentax (even if it is based on an older version), Pentax would for sure have to pay a licence fee for every downloaded file.

Some years ago you could get the CD from an European Pentax distributor for about $50. At that time I tried to get DCU4 for my K200D (DCU3 had a terrible user interface and, on many computers, caused all kinds of problems on installation). I finally found an US company which had bought a bulk of K-5s, and offered the redundant CDs through eBay for $20 plus (low) shipping cost.
Just bought a K3 III and User manual says the Utility5 SW is included but: it's not! No CD no thumbdrive, no direction to find onsite. When I download the Updater for 5 it says " Cannot to find old version that is valid target of upgrading. INSTALLATION CANCELLED.

I am scouring the net for an original version but bome up empty. Renaming the file also end up w installation cancelled. Frustrating when I just laid down $2,000.00
07-24-2021, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax K5 Quote
Just bought a K3 III and User manual says the Utility5 SW is included but: it's not! No CD no thumbdrive, no direction to find onsite. When I download the Updater for 5 it says " Cannot to find old version that is valid target of upgrading. INSTALLATION CANCELLED.

I am scouring the net for an original version but bome up empty. Renaming the file also end up w installation cancelled. Frustrating when I just laid down $2,000.00

The software is loaded within the camera as a CD image … you'll find the details in the instruction book p98

07-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The software is loaded within the camera as a CD image … you'll find the details in the instruction book p98
OK! I would've never thought of that. I ended up formating a USB drive and nameing it "S-SW140" and then and only then would the U5 updater proceed and install the complete new version of U5.

Thanks and I'm still working thru the User manual... I am sure I'll be glad I did!

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by Pentax K5; 07-24-2021 at 09:55 AM.
07-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax K5 Quote
OK! I would've never thought of that. I ended up formating a USB drive and nameing it "S-SW140" and then and only then would the U5 updater proceed and install the complete new version of U5.

Thanks and I'm still working thru the User manual... I am sure I'll be glad I did!

Have a great weekend.
Glad you sorted it
On delivery of my K-3iii it took me 2 1/2 hours to work through the manual, just finding the features I was immediately interested in and configuring the camera to suit. Three months and 2,500 exposures later and I'm still fine tuning the setup, adding features to User Modes and generally coming to grips with the total configurability of the camera … and that's just for stills … I don't do video!
Enjoy