Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Digital Camera Utility 5

Can anyone help by telling where I can find a downloadable copy of the "Digital Camera Utility 5" CD? I can only find the updater.
I am waiting fro a new computer to arrive but want to jump in and start looking at and editing photos.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank,
John

05-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are none online. You'll have to get a copy from a fellow user, or use a little trick outlined in related forum threads to get the updater to install the full version

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I remember several years ago you could order the CD from European distributors for something like 40 or 50.

The reason for the high price obviously was that Pentax had to pay for every camera sold some amount to Silky Pix, so it was (is) not possible to make it downloadable on their website.
05-10-2017, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DCU (digital camera utility) software can upgraded on your computer with or without CD. You can get the latest update from Ricoh Support webpage. If you are installing the software for the 1st time and do not have the CD, use a memory stick that you rename S-SW140.

Hope that the comment may help.

05-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank You!

Thank you Adam and RKKS08 - Greatly appreciated!
05-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

If you are running Windows 8+ or Windows 10 you don't need to do the renaming trick. Just download the upgrade and run it. It will complain it can't find an earlier version but if you click next or ok (anything but cancel or close) it will install regardless.
05-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I am wondering, what are differences between these editions?
05-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I am wondering, what are differences between these editions?
Changes back to v5.2.1 are listed on the Ricoh site, scroll down the page:
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

05-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't want the update; I just want to download the information on the disc. I bought a new K-70 which comes with a disc but my MacBook does not have a drive. The update online is just an update, right? When I download the disc, all I find are .exe files, useless on Mac.

What am I doing wrong?
07-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This amazes me. It's 2017 and Pentax doesn't have a place you can download the file instead of a CD? Seriously? a CD-ROM???? I'm utterly speechless. good thing I have my old desktop and haven't upgraded to the Studio yet! My Surface Book doesn't have a CD...lots of high-end machines don't. What the literal.....
07-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fotograffiti Quote
I bought a new K-70 which comes with a disc but my MacBook does not have a drive.
Perhaps an external drive would help?
07-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
This amazes me. It's 2017 and Pentax doesn't have a place you can download the file instead of a CD? Seriously? a CD-ROM???? I'm utterly speechless. good thing I have my old desktop and haven't upgraded to the Studio yet! My Surface Book doesn't have a CD...lots of high-end machines don't. What the literal.....
Printers still come with CD-ROMs. Some of the office environments I work with have a strict no Internet connection to workstations on the network for security reasons. It is very difficult to install new printers in such situations if the drivers are only available through an Internet connection.

USB external CD/DVD drives are so cheap there is no reason not to buy one.
07-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Printers still come with CD-ROMs. Some of the office environments I work with have a strict no Internet connection to workstations on the network for security reasons. It is very difficult to install new printers in such situations if the drivers are only available through an Internet connection.

USB external CD/DVD drives are so cheap there is no reason not to buy one.
It's not that I believe they shouldn't include a CD, it's that I believe there SHOULD ALSO be a download option, so many customers don't have to purchase an external cd/dvd drive for this purpose. It's like an automaker failing to have bluetooth tech on their newest vehicle. Sure, I can get cheap adapters, but why should I have to? It's 2017.
07-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

@mcleoud151
The reason why Ricoh/Pentax do handle access to the DCU software different from manuals and firmware downloads, is quite obvious.
Manuals and firmware are Pentax property, and using them does only make sense for Pentax camera owners. The first owner of the camera payed for the development when he bought the camera.

This is quite different with DCU. It is based on SilkyPix, and I guess Ricoh has to pay something like $20 for every camera produced. Mind that DCU handles pictures saved as DNG independent from the camera brand. SilkyPix studio prices have varied in the past, but usually are something like $100-150 (the cheaper download version). If you could get it for free from Pentax (even if it is based on an older version), Pentax would for sure have to pay a licence fee for every downloaded file.

Some years ago you could get the CD from an European Pentax distributor for about $50. At that time I tried to get DCU4 for my K200D (DCU3 had a terrible user interface and, on many computers, caused all kinds of problems on installation). I finally found an US company which had bought a bulk of K-5s, and offered the redundant CDs through eBay for $20 plus (low) shipping cost.
07-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #15

There's nothing on the CD other than DCU or SIlky Pix so why bother downloading the CD when you'll have to download the update too. Back in the K20D/K10D days they included drivers and the remote/tethering program but that was about it. But then people were still running WIndows 98 back then too.