Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Righty Ho now we have a K-30...

Yep we do have the K-30 along with a 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lens.
So my idea is to have the K-30 with one lens and another Pentax K Camera with the other.
Price is important even if we go back to a K10D/K20D/K-r Or whatever is suggested.
Which also left me with question - do I go for a 18-200mm/18-250mm/18-300mm lens and just use the K-30.

Have scoured this forum in Equipment for sale and even Ebay plus Kijiji here in Canada and have NOT found suitably priced second Pentax K camera.
Yet would like the second Camera to be compatible with one of the lenses.
Keeping in the mind that today the K-30 with the 55-300m was giving a few palpitations as to capture an image.

So if this is not to immature question can anyone help here

Cheers for Years
Colin

05-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Yep we do have the K-30 along with a 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lens.
So my idea is to have the K-30 with one lens and another Pentax K Camera with the other.
Price is important even if we go back to a K10D/K20D/K-r Or whatever is suggested.
Which also left me with question - do I go for a 18-200mm/18-250mm/18-300mm lens and just use the K-30.

Have scoured this forum in Equipment for sale and even Ebay plus Kijiji here in Canada and have NOT found suitably priced second Pentax K camera.
Yet would like the second Camera to be compatible with one of the lenses.
Keeping in the mind that today the K-30 with the 55-300m was giving a few palpitations as to capture an image.

So if this is not to immature question can anyone help here

Cheers for Years
Colin
1st question is. Why? What is it that the 2 body 2 lens is going to give you? I'm not being critical, I'm trying to help focus the question to get better answers.

For me the 18-55 is fine but not very inspiring. This is mostly a character flaw on my part. The 55-300 is a really nice lens that I enjoy paired with my 18-135. There is a lot of overlap there for a reason. I don't want to carry two bodies and I don't want to miss shots by constantly switching lenses.

As for the 18-200. 250, 270, 300 varieties of lenses I feel like the SLR is designed to take multiple lenses - it would be shameful not to do so. Lol. In all seriousness, long soon ranges compromise quality. The 55-300 should be less soft at the long end from what I have seen and read. However I don't own and have never owned those long zoom ranges in Pentax.
05-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So if I understand you correctly you are looking for a second k-mount body so you can put one lens on each? And what budget are you looking at? "Suitably priced" does not help much. The obvious answer (to me) is a second k-30. Having two different bodies with possibly slightly different menu and button layouts is a problem for me. But maybe not for you.

That is a possibility but I would think the cost of that type of lens would be not different than another body. It also depends on your requirements for image quality, those long focal range zooms tend to not be as good. The 18-250 though does have it's fans.

---------- Post added 05-14-17 at 09:40 PM ----------

And as @UncleVanya says: The whole point of a DSLR is to have one body and multiple lenses. Perhaps if you told us a bit about your uses we might have more intelligent advice.
05-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you jatrax & UnlceNanya,
A K Mount Body is the basis for all this. So that one has the 18-55mm and the K-30 with the lens. While an extra K-30 Body may or may not be the answer - because right now it seems so much out of sync compared to any of my previous K Mount Cameras - K10D/K20D/K-r and even a 1stD.
And I just have no no need or want to change lenses whenever I am out going "ClickClickClick"

From here is just a???
Cheers for Years
Colin

05-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D/K20D/K-r and even a 1stD.
I think you will find that the k-30 is the oldest of the "newer" K-mount bodies. While it might not match what you are used to it does (mostly) match anything newer. And the sensor in anything much older than that is at a big disadvantage. With no idea what your budget is it is hard to recommend anything beyond my original thought that both bodies should be the same. Good luck with your search.
05-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, what's your budget?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you jatrax & Adam
PLEASE excuse the delay in getting back to you all as I have been at odds with both the camera and the 55-300mm Lens. Wondering if I had chose the right camera.
For some reason the time delay is not the same as when I used an older 100-300mm Pentax lens with a K10D/K20D/&K-r. Including the in camera settings which seemed much easier with those three than the K-30.

We went outside just now and tried the 18-55mm Lens & then the 55-300mm got a couple of good pics each and wondered if I had been too hesitant while pressing the shutter button before.

Have seen some K10/K20D cameras at good Canadian$ locally both on Ebay & Kijiji. I only look at listings without any attention to a price quote and think if that is a price that I can afford we are off and running.

But first will just have to give the K-30 and lenses with my novice like abilities another whirl.
Thank you all for your patience with all this

Cheers for Years
Colin
05-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
Did a little research today & see that both the K-30 & K-50 have intermittent shutter problems. So maybe it is time to look at Mirrorless - like the K-01, KS-1 or KS-2. Yet which is the "Go To" Camera or Cameras is still up in the air. Like what I see and have read about the KS-1. Or whether it is time to go totally Mirrorles is STILL unclear hehehe. Even after finding a KS-2 at a good CAN$ Price in Canada and has 5 days to go BUT with a Pentax 18-50mm Lens which really surprised me.

So the journey continues

Cheers for Years
Colin

Last edited by kamicota; 05-18-2017 at 03:24 PM.
05-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did a little research today & see that both the K-30 & K-50 have intermittent shutter problems. So maybe it is time to look at Mirrorless - like the K-01, KS-1 or KS-2.
I think they have the same aperture mechanism and shutter, Colin - if that bothers you.

You never answered Adam's question about your budget, which will have some reading throw up their hands.

Anyway, whatever you choose - K10D or K-P - your lenses will work.

Cheers,
Ian
05-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you Clackers --->>>
In my own way I DID answer Adam's post because right now the next Camera or two Cameras with even a possible release of the K-30. IS still unsure!!!

Yet it may be appropriate RIGHT NOW as an afterthought to specify the amount BUT in Can$ & hopefully a Canadian Seller - so Here we GO --->>> a K-20D for around CAN$150 ( as have seen elsewhere) - A K-01 around Can$180.00, A K-S1/K-S2 around Can$220.00 or so. This may be my UK/Scottish frugal impulses coming to light though hehehe.

OOOPPPSSS!!! and yes just sort of realized that the K-S1/KS2 are NOT Mirrorless OR am I wrong here ONCE again lol

And as another "Afterthought" I bought the K-r because it had a Sony Sensor just like the K-30. So the K-r is somewhere in that mix of Financial $$$ OK

Cheers for years
Colin

Last edited by kamicota; 05-18-2017 at 05:29 PM.
05-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
This has become a MOST uncertain Journey and while I TRULY appreciate all replies and advice --->>> HAVE decided it is time to Sell the K-30 with these lenses - --->>> Pentax 18-55mm DAL 1:3.5-5.6 DAL (and caps), Pentax DAL 55-300mm 1:4-5.8 ED, + the HorusBenuu 50mm Manual lens.

This posting will be up soon and OFFERED in CAN$ OK!!!

Cheers for Years
Colin

---------- Post added 05-18-17 at 07:57 PM ----------

Here is the listing --->>>

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com

Cheers for Years
Colin