Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Macro lense issue

Hi all,
I recently purchased a manual focus 100mm macro from fleebay from a dealer in japan. It was rated high in quality and is in beautiful shape with no signs of trama to it. The problem with this lense is that it will not focus to infinity, focus is to 20 =25 ft.. I have tried the lense on both of my digital camera bodies (K20D, K100D). I have taken a few test macros with good success. I don't think the problem is with the bodies as I have other manual lenses that work just fine.

Has anyone run into this problem or heard about something like this?

Thanks
George

05-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might help if you told us what lens it is Pentax alone has I think 5 different 100mm macros. Just guessing but some macros have focus limiters on them, does yours?
05-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Couple of random thoughts. Some lenses focus past infinity, so you need to check where the sharpest focus is at that end of the lens - it may be somewhat before full rotation. Not focusing to infinity may mean that something is pushing the lens or the elements further forward from that body than they should be. Not saying this is the case here - but not being able to focus to infinity is what happens when you put an extension tube, or even a flange type m42 adapter between the lens and the body.
05-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My Sigma 105 Macro has a limiter switch, so that when being used in Macro mode it won't hunt all the way to infinity (or beyond). Has your unspecified lens got something similar ?

05-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #5

There have been a number of 100mm Manual Focus macro lenses sold from Japan in the last month or so. Many of them are for screwmount. If it is for screwmount what adapter are you using?

Many of the MF 100mm macro lenses also used an extension tube or add-on lens in front for 1 magnification. Otherwise the max magnification is 0.5.

If the add-on lens or extension tube is attached or you are using a flanged screwmount adapter then you will not be able to focus to infinity.

I think Phoenix is one of the brands that uses an add-on lens.

What lens did you buy?