Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2017, 05:52 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Life, Death and Resurrection of K-30.

Several months ago the plastic battery latch that keeps the battery from flying out when you open the battery compartment broke on my K-30 camera. I lust lived with the inconvenience until last week when I decided to see if a part was available to fix it. Nope. Ricoh refers all repair issues to Precision Camera, period. For that referral Precision Camera quotes a flat fee, never less, could be more and no they don't sell parts. Meanwhile, I had been reading about the sticky solenoid issue causing iris diaphragm to malfunction causing under exposed photos. I decided to check this although have never experienced the problem. I put the camera in continuous exposure mode and pressed the shutter release several time while observing the diaphragm. No problem until after the forth burst the camera ceased to power up period. Damn. Now I'm faced with a big buck repair instead of just an inconvenience. After calling the three or four repair facilities left I came to the conclusion that I would retire the K-30 (originally bought for video capability) and use my LG smartphone which is adequate for my needs. So being a retired electronics engineer I thought I would open up the camera and see if there was something obvious and after poking around I found the issue. It was related to the battery latch breaking. The latch is dual purpose, one to prevent the battery from flying and, two to power down the camera to prevent removal of the battery when the camera is on. The contact is held open by another piece of plastic that had broken, most likely by my poking around. A little judicious bending and the problem is resolved. Saved me scraping, repairing or replacing the camera. So iif your K-30 (and K_50) suddenly won't power up this is a possibility. You will need to take the covers off to get at the latch mechanism. My guess a repair shop will want to replace the entire battery box and you're looking at 2-3 hundred which makes repair debatable. Might be time for an upgrade.

05-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent. K-30 is dead, long live K-30!
05-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Fantastic. Glad you fixed it. It always feels good to figure out a problem and fix it.
05-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very cool!, glad you fixed it. I just recently had my K-50 repaired because that little latch had broken, they strangely call it a battery hook. Mine was repaired under the extended warranty. By the way, it still powered up just fine when I closed the battery door, however I decided to send it in for repair since that was extra pressure on the door and I did not want that to pop open. I used it a couple of times before sending it in with a little piece of tape on the door just in case. They also replaced the diaphragm (aperture) block (which did not exhibit any problems), test and recalibrate the autofocus, and clean inside and out.

05-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice. This reminds me of the times when I repaired both a KX and a ME-F film cameras. And considering the current state of the economy, it's not a bad idea to add at least 'easy camera and lens repairs" to your skills set.
05-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Very cool!, glad you fixed it. I just recently had my K-50 repaired because that little latch had broken, they strangely call it a battery hook. Mine was repaired under the extended warranty. By the way, it still powered up just fine when I closed the battery door, however I decided to send it in for repair since that was extra pressure on the door and I did not want that to pop open. I used it a couple of times before sending it in with a little piece of tape on the door just in case. They also replaced the diaphragm (aperture) block (which did not exhibit any problems), test and recalibrate the autofocus, and clean inside and out.
It ceased powering up when the plastic post to prevent the battery interrupt switch from making contact when the door is closed. This most likely broke when I was poking around before removing the front cover that exposes the interrupt switch. The annoying thing is that I will have to live with the malfunctioning battery hook unless I wish to pay a minimum $212.5 to Precision Camera to replace the entire battery box assembly because Ricoh/Pentax won't supply a piece part that can't cost but pennies to manufacture. If I begin to have the diaphragm solenoid issue maybe I'll reconsider. However, after a conversation with Advance Camera in Portland I probably won't send it to Precision. Advanced has 1 year warranty vs Precision's 90 day and charges for time and materials not flat fee plus like Precision. BTW, the Precision person says that Ricoh sets the flat fee amount and when I asked if Ricoh gets any of that fee she says I'm "not allowed" to answer. IMO, my impression of Ricoh is that they have less interest in customer satisfaction than they have in profits.

I go back nearly fifty years of owning Pentax cameras starting with an LX and ME Super which I shot film on for a great many of those years. When the istD was announced I bought one as I didn't want to sacrifice all the lenses I had accumulated (28mm, 50mm, 100mm, 200mm, 50-250 Tamron zoom and 650 mirror lens) by switching brands. I would miss the features of the LX like removable viewfinder, changeable focusing screens etc but it was obvious to me that film was becoming obsolete and not having a permanent darkroom was a pain. Since then I have progressed to a K10D which is a decent still camera and then to the K-30 I have now which I bought for the video capability.

I started in photography in 1964 and accumulated 18 semester hours of black and white and color in various colleges in California. While I have never worked as a photographer my education has been very helpful throughout my working career in several fields of electronics engineering (RF, Medical, Telecommunications, Semiconductor along with holding engineering management positions.

I retired a few years ago and frankly can no longer afford today's cameras so the K-30 is probably the end of the line for me, except for my LG V20 Smartphone which to be honest is a pretty good replacement for my occasional Disneyland, etc. trips. The videos shot with the V20 and viewed on my HDTV are pretty damn good. The V20 has two lenses (wide angle and not so wide angle) and manual control of exposure with stereo sound. Given all the other stuff the phone will do it is an amazing piece of technology.
05-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theoldcougar Quote
The annoying thing is that I will have to live with the malfunctioning battery hook unless I wish to pay a minimum $212.5 to Precision Camera to replace the entire battery box assembly because Ricoh/Pentax won't supply a piece part that can't cost but pennies to manufacture.
If all you are worried about is the door popping open and your batter falling out, here's a simple fix:

K 30 Battery retaining lug. - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com