Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Auto exposure compensation in Manual mode, K-3

This may be a silly question, but how can I turn OFF the automatic exposure compensation in manual mode? It simply ruins my pictures and I cannot find the off switch.
Thanks!
Andy

05-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it the black & white +/- EV compensation button on top?
05-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Menu C 1.6
05-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

you can try this:
1. on the back of your camera click the fist button on the top as see in the image below. the one that look like layer of rectangels with timer icon next to its right hand.

2. then select single frame shooting mode, first one on the left.

05-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is odd. I did go to Menu C 1.6 and turned off EV compensation before. But when shooting with the Sigma 85/1.4 in Manual mode earlier today, at 1.4 and at 2.0, many frames got overexposed. I thought it was the compensation but in M mode the screen just shows the over/underexposure w/out actually doing anything. So I am back to square one, perhaps the ISO got accidentally bumped up, will do more testing.

Thank you everyone for your replies, much appreciated.
05-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
but in M mode the screen just shows the over/underexposure w/out actually doing anything.
Bit confused to what exactly is the problem here. If the meter is showing over/under exposure you have to centre the meter reading yourself by adjusting shutter speed or aperture.

Re-reading your post I think you are just saying that Auto EV compensation is not affecting your exposure in M mode. In fact I don't think Auto EV can work in M mode at all, but could be wrong.

So regarding your overexposure problems, have you tried using another lens with the same M exposure settings to see if the lens is at fault? Have you checked that bracketing is turned off ? Can you post a picture of the scene?

Last edited by pschlute; 05-18-2017 at 12:45 AM.
05-18-2017, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
Are you sure, not accidentally pressing the green button while taking the photos? I did it many times with K-3 and it ruins the manual exposure you've done.

05-18-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Supakatti Quote
Are you sure, not accidentally pressing the green button while taking the photos? I did it many times with K-3 and it ruins the manual exposure you've done.
Turns out that is exactly what I've been doing. Thank you! I ran a few test with various lenses, and the bigger/fatter the lens the more frequently this happens for me. Thank you again, this was driving me bananas.