Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Newbie needs help

Greetings all,

I am new to the forum and a new K100D owner. If I am posting to the wrong thread, please direct me to the appropriate one. I am using the 18-55 kit lens and a Tamron 70-300 zoom lens.

I am not a new SLR user as I used a Canon TLB film SLR for many years. I am not a new digital user either.

That being said, I am totally clueless on WHAT lenses do and HOW they work. I am even more confused to the meaning of the mounts such as DA, FA, K, etc. This is making it harder for me to find the type of lens I'm looking for.

So far, I am happy with both lenses I use for the everyday photos I take. However, I need a faster lens for taking pictures in low light conditions. My DH is in a band, and I would like to take photos of his gigs - preferably without a tripod. My daughters are dance teachers and I often take stage photos of recitals and shows. These I prefer to not use a tripod either. Indoor living room shots and the occasional night photo would round off my situations.

I don't have tons of money to spend on a lens.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Does it say on the lens what kind it is?
What kind of mounts are suitable for the K100D and why?
Which lens would you recommend for the uses I described?
Do I have to stick with Pentax brand lenses? If not - how do I know what other brands will be suitable?

Again, I'm a newbie here and I hope I have posted in the right place. I'm still trying to navigate the forums, so I'm not sure if these questions have been addressed elsewhere.

I hope I can find my way back here later to see if there are any answers!! ha

02-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Panache and welcome!

I would suggest looking at these threads. There are quite a bit of discussion about a couple certain lenses here that you might be interested in. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to reply in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2327-better-basket...tos-k100d.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-tips-technique/3393-stage-photography-k10d.html

Cheers!
02-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
Nor do I. lol.

QuoteQuote:
You can go for any lens that has a Pentax/K mount

QuoteQuote:
Please see links I posted earlier above.

QuoteQuote:
Do I have to stick with Pentax brand lenses? If not - how do I know what other brands will be suitable?
Tamron, Sigma, Tokina are great 3rd party lenses. If you are comfortable using second hand manual focus, Vivitar Series 1 makes nice manual focus lenses and I'm sure there are others. As mentioned before make sure they have a Pentax/K mount.
02-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Greetings all,

I am new to the forum and a new K100D owner. If I am posting to the wrong thread, please direct me to the appropriate one. I am using the 18-55 kit lens and a Tamron 70-300 zoom lens.

I am not a new SLR user as I used a Canon TLB film SLR for many years. I am not a new digital user either.

That being said, I am totally clueless on WHAT lenses do and HOW they work. I am even more confused to the meaning of the mounts such as DA, FA, K, etc. This is making it harder for me to find the type of lens I'm looking for.

So far, I am happy with both lenses I use for the everyday photos I take. However, I need a faster lens for taking pictures in low light conditions. My DH is in a band, and I would like to take photos of his gigs - preferably without a tripod. My daughters are dance teachers and I often take stage photos of recitals and shows. These I prefer to not use a tripod either. Indoor living room shots and the occasional night photo would round off my situations.

Again, I'm a newbie here and I hope I have posted in the right place. I'm still trying to navigate the forums, so I'm not sure if these questions have been addressed elsewhere.

The DA designation is for Digital SLRs only and will not work on film SLRs, because of the smaller sensor on dslr bodies. They are all autofocus.
The FA designation is for lens that work on Digital SLRs and film. They are also autofocus.
The K lens are manual focus and will work on all Pentax slr cameras.
The DFA lens are designed for Digital SLRs but will work on Film SLRs and are autofocus.
All of these lens will work on your K100D. But you will not have autofocus with K or A lens. The great thing about Pentax is backward capatability of their cameras; most any pentax lens made will still work on modern slr or dslr with certain limitations.

You do not need to stick with Pentax. Tamron, Tokina and Sigma all make good alternative lens. You just need to make sure the lens is made for teh Pentax mount. If you visit these manufacture's websites they will tell what their lens terms mean.
Dependingn on how close you can get to the stage, you could buy a Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 lens. This lens does not zoom but can be bought for 200$. It is really fast and sharp. With the 1.5x focal length increase on Digital cameras it is the film equivalent of a 75mm lens. Another recommendation would be the Tamron 28-75 DI f2.8 lens. I have used both these lens and found them to be excellent and will perform well in low light situations. I hope this helps; feel free to ask more question.

02-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Debb, and welcome to the forum.
Yes, this is the appropriate place to ask this. Both Alvin and Erl, have answered your questions pretty well.
A very good explanation of all the different lens designations can be found here:Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page
As Erl has said the FA 50 1.4 is a great low light lens. If you don't mind manual focus and second hand lenses, you can get either the K 50mm 1.4 (manual focus and manual aperture) or the A 50mm 1.4 (manual focus and automatic aperture) Both of these lenses can usually be found on eek bay or somewaht frequently at KEH Cameras and used cameras available from KEH Camera Brokers.

NaCl(hope this helps)H2O
02-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming if you've got more to offer.

What is involved with a manual focus lens - other than the obvious!
02-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming if you've got more to offer.

What is involved with a manual focus lens - other than the obvious!
Some of the manual focus only lens also require a different exposure setting. Any manual focus lens with an A designation has an 'A' setting on the aperature ring and can be used with different exposure modes on the camera with the aperature ring set to the 'A' setting. Older pentax manual focus lens do not have an 'A' setting and you must set the aperature and shutter speed in manual exposure mode like it used to be done before autoexposure settings. Hopefully someone with experience using manual focus lens and the K100D will share their experiences.
02-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Depends of course on how close you can get to the stage too. I've recently purchased a Sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX (or something like that). It's a fast lens (constant 2.8) so good for low light, and the zoom range should allow you to get some good close ups. It is kind of expensive, but I got mine second hand for about half price. I will use it mainly for outdoor sport under lights.

02-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Greetings all,

Hi

I checked out your pics and website and they rock!
you seem like a very busy person

I agree that the Tamron 28-75 DI f2.8 lens would be an excellent choice, but you said that you didn't have a lot of money to spend. that lens will cost you
$569.95 canadian dollars.

the pentax 50mm 1.4 another option at $359.00 canadian dollars. it isn't as good as the tamron as far as versitality, but will give you better low light capabilities.
you will not get a good lens to do what you want for under $350 unless you buy used.

Items Display

hope this helps

randy
02-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #10

I too, checked out your site, Deb,

Beautiful work! I'm feeling inspired...I can't wait until I get my new camera!

02-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind comments about my site. It is a work in progress and I sometimes wonder if I should keep it up. Almost all the pics on the site were taken with my Fuji S5200 hybrid. I'm totally pumped to take some new stuff with this new K100.

I like the sound of the Tamron zoom 2.8. It IS a lot of money, but if it's the right lens for me, then I don't mind saving up for it and perhaps look for a second hand one. I like the fact that with the zoom, my options are a little better than a fixed.

Thanks again for the input.