Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 40mm F2.8 XS Leak?

After recently acquiring DA 50mm F 1.8 I rarely use the 40mm XS lens, but I carry it in my bag as it is very convenient.

A month ago when I took it out to use I noticed there was some kind of oily thing sticking on my hands. I thought I might have touched it with oily hands or something, wiped it, shot few pictures and kept it in the bag.

Today I was preparing my bag for a concert shoot and took out the lens and saw the sticky oily thing again.

I keep the lens in a bubble bag with silica gel (to absorb moisture).

Attaching some pics (oily thing near to the DA lettering).

Is the lens dying? It still takes sharp pictures and focus is fast and smooth.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm. That's unusual. Are you the original owner of the lens, or are you aware of its service history? I wouldn't normally expect the lubricant in a Pentax lens to run like that. Has it been subjected to very high temperatures for extended periods of time?

The lens isn't dying, no... but it certainly looks like there's lubricant - either from the focusing helicoid or possibly the AF or diaphragm control mechanism - leaking from it.

I'm not sure what to suggest, as I've never dismantled a DA40 XS. Perhaps one of our other members can advise...
05-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My 40mm XS has never done that, and I dont remember any reports of it.
Yeah, ask about the service history. Maybe someone used wrong or too much lubricant.

If the lens is out of warranty and you have all the proper tools you can try taking it apart and wiping out the excess lubricant. But disassembly is always risky.

The real problem is if the oil leaks between the glass elements or into the mount/camera
05-19-2017, 05:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the mean time, change the way you store it. I've seen material incompatibility cause oil leaching in some rubbers. Doesn't look to be the case here, but change it nonetheless. I'd eliminate the bag and the gel silica. Maybe just store it in the cupboard for a couple of weeks, see if it changes.

05-19-2017, 06:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am the original owner, bought it brand new and it's almost 2 yrs now.

Don't have necessary tools to open the lens and work on it, this lens is more than tiny for my comfort level to open and fix.

When I purchased the lens I initially ordered the 50mm but the shipper by mistake sent me this one, I was furious then realized this is much expensive lens. Was dishonest and didn't report and kept it happily. I guess it's biting me now. I could have gone to AMEX assurance for help like I did for my K50.

I will change the storage pouch and see if it helps.
05-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
When I purchased the lens I initially ordered the 50mm but the shipper by mistake sent me this one, I was furious then realized this is much expensive lens. Was dishonest and didn't report and kept it happily. I guess it's biting me now. I could have gone to AMEX assurance for help like I did for my K50.
If they sent the wrong package, how do you know its new and undamaged?
Anyway, the warranty is usually 1 year (depends on location). You can send this by email to the official repairs shop in your country or ask someone like Eric: Twenty Questions with Eric Hendrickson - Columns | PentaxForums.com

Official repair stores usually take a small fee to look at the lens, then they quote the final price for the repairs and you can decide whether they go ahead and repair it, or you take it back without the repairs. Shipping can be a bother, so try to find something as local as possible. There are various little photography repair stores, but often they can be hard to find.

Its a good lens, hope you get it sorted out
05-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If they sent the wrong package, how do you know its new and undamaged?
Anyway, the warranty is usually 1 year (depends on location). You can send this by email to the official repairs shop in your country or ask someone like Eric: Twenty Questions with Eric Hendrickson - Columns | PentaxForums.com

Official repair stores usually take a small fee to look at the lens, then they quote the final price for the repairs and you can decide whether they go ahead and repair it, or you take it back without the repairs. Shipping can be a bother, so try to find something as local as possible. There are various little photography repair stores, but often they can be hard to find.

Its a good lens, hope you get it sorted out
The box and packaging of the lens was fresh (the way you open the original box, it's bit stiff to open), bar code and everything was intact, lens didn't have any fingerprint or signs of usage. And I bought from Amazon direct so not from shady sellers too.

Thanks I will try to get a quote.

---------- Post added 05-19-17 at 07:43 AM ----------

Case Logic Ultra Compact Camera Case w/ Storage TBC-302 PINK - Micro Center

Should I store the lens in this instead? It's small enough to fit in my back pack too.