Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Camera won't turn on. Lens Malfunction?

Camera won't turn on. I was checking out a K2000 new to me. Has a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL lens. Autofocus setting was AF.C. I manually turned the lens focus ring with camera set to AF mode, and believe I may have pressed the AF button. The camera had been working but now won't turn on. I changed batteries to make sure that wasn't the problem. Lens manual says "CAUTION To prevent malfunction, do not touch the focusing ring during autofocusing..."

Presuming I caused the above "malfunction"... Is there any way to fix the problem? Is the lens now broken? Any way to reset? Any help is appreciated.

05-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The problem is unlikely to be related to the lens. The warning in the manual is to prevent you from putting strain on the focusing motor, which even if it broke would not prevent the camera from powering up.
Thanks for the response. Based on it, I tried a third set of batteries and camera now turns on.
05-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the camera would turn on even if the focusing gears in the lens or the AF motor in the camera was broken.
I recommend you use a rocket blower to clean the SD card slot, the battery compartment, blow around the buttons, especially the on/off button, and clean the lens and camera mount to make sure they are free of grime or damage. Charge the battery and leave it outside of camera overnight before putting it back in. It would also be good if you could try another battery or maybe even AA batteries (this camera allows use of AA batteries with the right adapter, right?)