Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #1

Pentax Me Super lightmeter not accurate!

Hey there, i'm new to this forum.

Yesterday i've bought a Me super, after i fixed the stuck shutter i saw that the lightmeter display inside the viewfinder is not accurate.

While the camera seems to choose the right settings anyway it shows wrong shutter speeds.

E.g.

Inside, camera set to iso100, lens to 3,5.

The camera will now show me something between 1/500 and1/1000

But when i press the shutter it sounds light something around 1/20

I did check if the scale was in the right position by turning on M mode and checking if the led was in the roght position. And it is.

Can i fix this somehow?

Thank you very much!
Daniel Melzer

05-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Is the highest ASA setting and lowest ASA setting the same amount off...about 4 stops off?
If you aim at a steady light source, set to Manual and move the ASA from 12 to 1600, does the LED indicator go off the scale to top or bottom most or does it sort of repeat inself?
05-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The mirror flip-up takes just as long for fast shutter speeds as for slow ones. Listening isn't an especially accurate way of judge shutter speeds.

Another PFer, taught me something useful.
-- Put an electronic flash on the camera, and aim the camera (without lens) toward a light-colored wall.
-- Position your eye behind the shutter opening with the back of the camera open.
-- Beginning with the flash-Sync speed (on my ME Super SE it's 1/125) and fire the shutter. If that speed is accurate the entire frame rectangle will illuminate.
-- With the ME, of course you have to use Manual mode to continue, which will involve trying each of the faster speeds in order. If each one is faster than the one before, a slightly smaller rectangle of light will appear when the shutter and flash fire.

I thought the speeds sounded way off on my Asahi Pentax ESII, but when I tried this test, I found the actually shutter open times progressed just as they should. I did have to test between some speeds more than once to be sure, especially as they got faster, but after that I was certain. This test doesn't give actual shutter speeds, but gives a good sense of relative speeds beginning with how the flash sync speed should function if it is accurate. My the first test roll of film confirmed the speeds were all reasonably accurate.

The test of you camera, of course, might confirm your suspicions, but more accurately than listening alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel Melzer Quote
Hey there, i'm new to this forum.

Yesterday i've bought a Me super, after i fixed the stuck shutter i saw that the lightmeter display inside the viewfinder is not accurate.

While the camera seems to choose the right settings anyway it shows wrong shutter speeds.

E.g.

Inside, camera set to iso100, lens to 3,5.

The camera will now show me something between 1/500 and1/1000

But when i press the shutter it sounds light something around 1/20

I did check if the scale was in the right position by turning on M mode and checking if the led was in the roght position. And it is.

Can i fix this somehow?

Thank you very much!
Daniel Melzer