Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zworld Quote
do I wait for a K3II replacement?
That is what I would (will) do !

05-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've shot with M42 mount Takumars on my k-5 and a K-1, so no issues with old glass on a new body.

I only get to shoot periodically, as opposed to every day all day long, I have rented a K-1 (and a few lenses) from borrowlenses.com multiple times when I have a special occasion and know I'll have enough free time to devote to shooting during the rental period. That experience was painless and pretty inexpensive, so consider renting a K-1 before throwing down a lot of money. You can also rent a K-3 from the same site.

I've bought almost all my gear used here on PF, again no issues, so consider buying a K-5 or a K-3 series used, the prices are reasonable, IMO, and the quality is usually excellent.
05-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm not afraid to put a Super Takumar on a K-1, and there are more than enough people who happily shoot them on the K-1, on full frame Canon DSLRs for video (in preference to their native glass), and on 42MP Sony bodies for stills. Some of them are professionals who make their living from this. That seems to indicate to me that a well-made old lens is good enough for anything the APS-C or full-frame world can throw at it.
I'm happy that it's so. I haven't said that an old lens can't be good. I've said that's better to check lenses before buying a camera. Ihad a Super Tak 35 f/2 it was a razor on k5 and liked a lot it's rendering . Despite the fact that it was all metal and glass my Tak is dead because a little screw unscrewed and ruined the focus mechanism. I was so sad of this. I have some legacy manual focus glass, my preferred are m 20 f/4 and k 55 f/2 and I'm convinced they can outperform my k5 16 mpx sensor. Unfortunately, it's possible that the 20 mm would show some limits on FF where issues on the corners would visibly appear, amplified by the mpx count . So perhaps with k1 I would need to buy a different lens.

Last edited by bm75; 05-23-2017 at 09:37 PM.
05-23-2017, 09:52 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If weight & size + budget are not a problem = K1
If weight & size is a problem but budget is not a problem = KP
If you are looking for today best bang for the buck (want to spend more on lenses) = K3 / K3II

---------- Post added 05-24-17 at 01:55 PM ----------

do I wait for a K3II replacement?
nope, if you feel like you want to upgrade and you know you are ready to upgrade your gear now, why wait?
if you wait for K3III, then you would want to wait until its price going down a bit, then you would want to wait for K3III replacement & so on.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 05-23-2017 at 10:11 PM.
05-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian

What about a used ks2? Big step up in resolution and high ISO, and cheap. Use it until the K-3 iii comes out.
05-24-2017, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

For the OP: if all I had left in the world was my *istDS and my S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/2.8, I could still impress even (or only) myself:

Stepping back a bit, the colours are nice (this is the Super Tak 55/2.0) and the analogue TTL protocol can work miracles with the right flash unit at the right distance (here's the low-powered AF080C macro ringflash):

Look at the detail in that weave and ask yourself whether you really need more than 6MP for now. Then make the call when the K-3ii successor is properly announced. In the meantime, grab yourself an M42-K adapter, a 55mm Super Takumar and some M42 extension tubes for macro (I assume you already have a tripod), and fall in love with your *istDS all over again.
05-28-2017, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #22

Original Poster
Almost lost in analysis paralysis...I made a decision :-)

First, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered opinions and provided guidance. I appreciate it more than you know, and I'm continually impressed at how friendly and helpful everyone is, so thanks!

What did I decide? Well, my decision was based around two things, which follow:
1. Lenses. Many of you told me to invest in lenses, which I already have been for years. I have 3 lenses that I take with me everywhere: Pentax DA* 16-50MM, 1:2.8; Pentax DA 18-55MM, 1:3.5-5.6; and, a Pentax DFA 100MM, 1:2.8 macro.
2. Features vs. Price Point. While I could buy the K-1, people said a lot of great things about the KP and the K3II as well as the K70. And, in fact, the K70 was in my final 2.

DECISION: I am going forward with the Pentax KP and the Pentax DFA 50MM, 1:2.8 lens. I decided that I do want to work towards a full frame camera, and maybe in a year or so I can get a great deal on a used K-1 or perhaps Pentax will come out with another full frame body. The KP gives me the features I want, future proofs me for a few years, and allows me to leverage some great lenses that have been my favorites for some time.

SO, there you have it. As many of you said, it would have been hard to make a bad choice given such a great product line up. I'm a huge Pentax fan - I always have been. I have no desire to move to another platform, so I'm glad for all the choices (even though it made choosing a challenge).

Thanks again everyone for all the help and guidance - you're an awesome group.

05-29-2017, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
I am going forward with the Pentax KP
UPDATE: At the last minute, I looked at the specs again and decided on a K3II, instead. Just call me a gutless flip flopper. ;-)
05-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UPDATE: At the last minute, I looked at the specs again and decided on a K3II, instead. Just call me a gutless flip flopper. ;-)
You are a gutless flip flopper. And so am I.
06-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flip flopping aside, I think that is a solid decision.