Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First Spotmatic Question

Hello,

Just received my first Spotmatic, a SP F. I do have some S-M-C Takumar lenses around but none of my 35mm (my favorite) are capable of open-aperture metering on SP F. How should I use these lenses? My two 35s are Super Takumar and Mamiya Sekor 35 lenses, both of them have stop-down pins.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

05-23-2017, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Push up the switch on the side of the mirror box to stop down meter.
05-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Push up the switch on the side of the mirror box to stop down meter.
Does this apply to preset lenses too?

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言
05-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My very first camera was a Spotmatic (not a SP-F), so I grew up on stop down metering. On the Spottie, the switch has two functions: it stops the lens down and it turns on the meter. On the SP-F, it only stops the lens down.

On my Spottie, which was not capable of open-aperture metering, I used preset lenses a lot, party because they were cheaper and partly because I had to stop down to meter anyway.

What I did with my preset lenses was to set the aperture to its smallest setting, usually f/16 or f/22, and leave it there.

I then simply used the stop down ring to find the correct exposure and then trip the shutter. This means that I often took pictures at odd settings like f/4.7 or f/8.3, as there were no detents on the stop-down ring.

One important thing to note about the Spotmatic-F. The meter is ALWAYS ON. So, a lens cap is imperative. Otherwise the meter will drain between uses. If you store the camera without a lens, use a body cap.