Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned Formatt Hitech. They are expensive, but B&H has a good number of them on a 50% off sale, so if you knew you were going to really want one to keep and do a lot with, it might be worth the investment:

Solid Neutral Density Filters | B&H Photo Video

05-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ND filters are useful for landscapes in daylight. In my opinion the most useful ones are the GND . If bracketing is an option for effects in PP, ND are just the only option for some works including water/motion in daylight, also if you have a camera that goes down to Iso 50. A ND it's also the only option to capture monuments in daylight without people around, for example.
05-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I agree. I'm quite fascinated at how the ND filter has become the "must-have" accessory of the current photo era. I see all kinds of young photographers convinced they have to get one, and yet really don't understand what they'll be doing with one.

Never mind that in years past I heard pro photographers talk about how their ND filter "separates the subject from the background", and people rushed out and bought one, convinced that it somehow, magically did just that. They then run around with the thing on the lens all the time, convinced they are getting this mythical separation effect. Of course, the old pro was talking about was using a 2 or 3 stop ND to open up the aperture a bit in bright light (especially when their old 'Blad had a 1/500th max shutter). It was the wide aperture, and shallower depth aiding the "separation", not the filter itself - but don't try to tell that to the young portrait photographer convinced they've got the secret magic lens attachment.

And that may be what the photo instructor is going for here - a way to get lenses wider open in bright light. I think we can assume the word "bokeh" is going to be overused a bit in that classroom.

But hey, in this post-cellphone camera era, the wide aperture, soft background is the only trick left in the DSLR's playbook.
Were the old timers when you were a kid talking the same way about different photographic techniques and how in their day these techniques (or some kind of equipment) weren't necessary for photography?

I think this is along the lines of the music complaints... 'this sounds like noise.. back in my day we listened to real music' said every generation in the past century..

Let people have their fun with their art..
05-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your unsure about what grade of filter you're going to need, there are variable filters available (many quite cheap) that have a rotating front glass rather like a polarizing filter

05-25-2017, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, I've got a Pentax K-70 and my photography teacher suggested we get an ND filter. What brands do you recommend? Thank you. Joyce Keay
Wow! Thank you all very much for responding. At first it alll sounded too technical and I was thinking that I might just not buy one. Then my photo teacher recommended this one - $29.97 on Amazon but less when I applied my Discover points against the purchase. We're on Cape Cod so we'll be using it for water pics for sure but I don't know what else he has up his sleeve.

amazon.com : ICE 77mm ND1000 Filter Neutral Density ND 1000 77 10 Stop Optical Glass : Camera Lens Neutral Density Filters : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
05-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a 6 and a 10 stop Haida branded ND filters. They're 150mm plates of glass to fit my 15-30mm lens. They're the only ND filters I've ever owned and I have no complaints.

My only recommendation is to make sure they're glass filters and not polycarbonate.
05-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Were the old timers when you were a kid talking the same way about different photographic techniques and how in their day these techniques (or some kind of equipment) weren't necessary for photography?

I think this is along the lines of the music complaints... 'this sounds like noise.. back in my day we listened to real music' said every generation in the past century..

Let people have their fun with their art..
Sorry to come across as old and crusty. I'm not old and crusty.

But working in the photographic field for a bit more than a decade has revealed some fascinating trends. I do take exception to the "flash in the pan" stuff that passes for serious knowledge at photo seminars, workshops and stuff.

It wasn't that long ago that everyone interested in good photography had, just HAD to run out and get a camera with a 1/250th sync, and a full-featured electronic flash. Then the instructor would demonstrate why it needed to be used absolutely all the time, for every single shot. For some reason we've forgotten why that was essential.

And in recent years I've heard of instructors telling their students to make sure their camera had at least 15 megapixels - which at the time referred pretty specifically to the new Canon 50D. So the newbies were convinced right away that Pentax or Nikon cameras were therefore incapable of serious images.

The other flash in the pan that has thankfully seemed to have run its course was the burning desire for sling straps, so that the carrier of a DSLR could dangle their camera by their hip, thereby making it vulnerable to every passing door frame. Apparently the devices were invented by repair shops looking for more business.

Again, sorry for griping.