Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

K-30 Black Stripe In Pictures

Hello,

So, a K-30 that I got for a friend a couple years back has been making a good 1/4th of the image black recently. I put it in cleaning mode, and can see a black ribbon/thin plastic strip that is in front of the sensor. I can turn the camera and get it to shake down (it attaches beyond one of the corners of the sensor) out of the way. Taking one good picture puts it right back into place. My thought is that it is part of the shutter mechanism?

My main question is should I tell them to get a new camera, or try to yank it out and see what happens? I don't think it's worth sending for repair (we bought it already used with close to 10K photos on it at the time). I'm not hopeful for a easy fix, but figured I'd see what you all know! Thanks!

05-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd really need to see it, it could be anything. If it is part of the mechanism you could probably get it out of the way somehow.
05-27-2017, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That sounds like one of the blades of the shutter. If you remove it by force, then probably all of the images will be 1/4 white.
05-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be shutter, could be due to indoors flickering lights, could be due to flash, or even SD card writing problems..? I think we would need to see a photo or two to know for certain

05-28-2017, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

It sounds like a shutter blade. If you get it replaced, it'll probably cost as much or more than another K-50, so you're probably better off just replacing the camera itself!
06-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

It def. merits a return back to Pentax for a cleaning and a once over.
06-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses and ideas everyone! I am sorry for not getting back here sooner - had a wedding to shoot, and a lot of other family things going on. As some of you understand correctly, there is a physical strip out of place, it is not due to any electronic issues, and as a few of you suspected, I think it is a shutter blade. I'll try to get a photo of it up.

I don't want to pay significantly over $100 to have it looked at when I could get a newer camera for not much north of that. Thank you all! I was more or less curious about it and wondering if it'd be worth yanking out. I feel really bad, since three cameras I got for friends/family have all failed in 2 years or less... one was covered by warranty, thankfully, but, meh. Two K-50s and this K-30 now, while my K-30, K-3, and my K-1 are all going strong. I feel like they all will start doubting Pentax, and it's making me sad about their recurring aperture block failure...

Thanks again!