Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cant Remove the Close up Lens filter from the Filter

I put the close up filter on my Filter thats attached to my lens filter. I can't seem to remove it . Is there any way to remove it? Thanks Dennis

06-01-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
I put the close up filter on my Filter thats attached to my lens filter. I can't seem to remove it . Is there any way to remove it? Thanks Dennis

try a large rubber band and that should allow you to grab the lens and remove it
06-01-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't have a good solution, but it's a common problem, Dennis. One of the great mysteries of photography is how a filter that was only screwed on loosely can become immovable in just a day or even a few hours.

Edited to add: It happens with screw-on lens hoods, too, btw.
06-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have heard that the application of GENTLE heat, maybe with a hairdryer, can assist - at your own risk obviously, and don't get it so hot you can't hold it ! BTW, as I read it, it is only the two filters that have formed a life-bond - you've got the filter off the lens OK ?

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 06-01-2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Atrocious grammar
06-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #5

Search and you will find dozens of solutions for stuck lens filters. Almost all of them involve either warming/cooling to expand/contract the filter or lens ring or increasing the friction or grip on the ring or a combination of all.

One of the best investments you can make are a set of lens filter wrenches such as dcshooter has linked above. Cheap, simple, very effective especially if you stacked several filters together for storage or whatever. You can always find room for them in your camera bag. I have yet to fail to remove a stuck filter with these wrenches.

I'm not a fan of the heating/cooling method. Too many variables.

As for getting a better grip you can try the rubber band around the ring. Or just wear a rubber glove or use some of that rubbery web no slip material for the kitchen. Useful for gripping bottle and jar covers. Or turn a mouse pad over and press the rubber back gently into filter with your palm and twist.- like opening a large safety bottle cap. You'll think of dozens of ways after reading these posts.
06-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The harder you squeeze sideways the tighter the filter will get because you are forcing it out of round.

Try turning it by only touching the front of the filter, not the sides. So that the force is not changing the shape of the filter. I've used a rubber jar opener flat against the front of the filter and then turn with the palm of my hand against the jar opener. Look in the kitchen, there is one hiding in the bottom drawer

A large rubber band can sometimes help by allowing you to use less pressure.

A set of filter wrenches are sometimes the only solution

Last edited by jatrax; 06-01-2017 at 08:46 AM.
06-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

+1...Filter wrench.

Steve

06-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will try them one at a time.
06-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #9

Hacksaw?

I am not kidding.

That is what I ended up doing on one lens.
06-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Hacksaw?

I am not kidding.

That is what I ended up doing on one lens.
Sense I Filter Wrench set solves this problem. They come in sets to match your filter and lens size. B and H camera sell s them, and they ar win expensive.

---------- Post added 06-01-17 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbone51 Quote
Sense I Filter Wrench set solves this problem. They come in sets to match your filter and lens size. B and H camera sell s them, and they ar win expensive.
It should have said: "inexpensive "
06-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

+1 on rubber band. But I have found that the key is to just relax your grip a bit and not force it. That often seems to do the trick.
06-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got IT !!! I used the rubber pieces that opens the jars . I pit one of them on the lens and the other on the filter. WALA Thank you
06-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #13

most excellent!
06-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try your wife's jar lid loosener. Then after you get this filter off order some filter wrenches.
06-02-2017, 03:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
Got IT !!! I used the rubber pieces that opens the jars
Brilliant ! Now follow AggieDad's advice,and get some filter wenches.

Pardon me - wrenches !