Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2017, 02:38 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've gotten good advice so far. I shoot with 32 and 64 gb transcend cards and they seem fine. I don't use filters except polarizers and ND filters in places where I think they would benefit the photos. Hoods can help improve contrast in situations where the sun or other light source is just outside of the frame. They aren't particularly expensive.

Go ahead and shoot. The biggest thing to me is to look at the EXIF on your photos and see what worked and what didn't. Shoot in Av or P mode. Over time you will understand what each setting does and how to make images that fit with your vision.

06-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #32

Original Poster
I thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations. I've got a couple of 64GB memory cards coming along with some lens hoods, extra Pentax battery, and some cleaning supplies.

For cleaning I got a blower, brush, Zeiss fluid and a microfiber cloth coming.

Also decided to get the Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR REthat B&H Photo has on sale. Other lenses will come in the future.

For now I'll use the included Pentax neck strap until I make a decision on something better. To me, some type of neck strap or tether is cheap insurance against a catastrophic drop. I've seen to many cracked or broken cell phones.

For temporary storage and transport I picked up a LowePro Top loader bag for now, to have something to put the camera and a few things in it to put in the car and take somewhere. It was on sale. I'll see how it works to start with and gain some time with it to see what I like and don't like about. Haven't decided what to do about a bag or storage system for the equipment and lenses that aren't in immediate use.

I haven't decided on a tripod yet. I agree about not getting a chintzy built one. I have a cheap one, two actually. The one wasn't bad for a light weight inexpensive point and shoot. The other is just cheap china plastic junk. Money well spent on good tripod isn't much when spread out over the years of use.

Some folks have mentioned a flash. I do have a flash that came bundled with the camera. It is a Pentax AF201FG Flash. That came with the camera along with the appropriate battery grip.

I've made notes on many of the equipment that has been suggested and have ordered some items, and still reaearching some of the other items such as straps and tripods.

I have also made some educational note on the tips many of you have made and will study those further.
I have been looking at the manual and will read that through and through. I'm sure Parts of it will be read several times.
Sometimes I think I need a Pentax K-3II for dummies book. Actually i might get the Dummies Digital Photography book.
Lots of stuff available on line and YouTube also.

I've been working a lot and with researching some of the stuff I still needed to get like memory cards before I can even use the camera I haven't had much time yet to read the manual and become familiar with it. Ive got a few days before the order arrives so hopefully I can catch up before the order arrives. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I can get into it further and start shooting some photos.

I do have one more question for now. Someone, I think Alamo and maybe someone else, suggested a lens pen for cleaning lens. It seems to me that the lens pens might be a little harsh and might be somewhat abrasive or marring to the lens, especially after being used a few times. Am I missing something?

Thank you to all of you for the help you have given me so far. I really appreciate the help.
06-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackwolfe Quote
I do have one more question for now. Someone, I think Alamo and maybe someone else, suggested a lens pen for cleaning lens. It seems to me that the lens pens might be a little harsh and might be somewhat abrasive or marring to the lens, especially after being used a few times. Am I missing something?
Nahh. The pen itself is very soft. The ones I have have a brush on one end and the really soft tip on the other. I will usually brush or blow off the debris (if any) first then use the other end as needed. I am careful not to get something like a grain of sand stuck under there. On that note you're not buffing out the lens like you would a car. Just very gently remove debris, lint, or in some cases water spots. The pen basically has a specialized tip designed to gently basically brush off the lens and is designed so you can get all the edges too.

Now for the important parts as I see them. There are many books out there that are very focused on gear. Yes it's very important to learn how a sensor works or many other 'technical' things but for every one of those you see, read, or watch, you should should read or watch one that goes into photographic technique or principles. I have a stack of books by Michael Freeman that are sheer gold. I refer to them all the time.

My main point is to not get too hung up on technical stuff when the real goal here is artistic. There is also no shame at all in giving it your best go and then posting a pic up here for critique. Might not always be positive feedback, but 99% of the time the critiques here will be very constructive and hence instructive as well.
06-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #34
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It was mentioned earlier, but you may have missed it. A large Giotto Rocket Air Blower. You don't want to touch the sensor if you can help it. Almost always (and maybe/hopefully always) it is all you need.

06-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blackwolfe Quote
Thank you to all of you for the help you have given me so far. I really appreciate the help.
You're welcome.

You seem well kitted-out there (though I second dms's comment about the rocket blower) - hope you have fun with all your gear.

Your existing tripods will at least give you a window into what's possible when you don't have to worry about slow shutter speed in natural light, especially when you have the prime lenses on and there's not that much weight to support (just make sure you're on stable ground and there's no risk of knockover or blow-over from wind, kids, dogs, overbalancing with a large zoom lens at full extension, etc; we've had a few recent horror stories on the Forums in that regard!). I know it's possible to get tripods with a hook at the bottom so that a heavy weight can be dangled from it; this shifts the centre of gravity WAY down and goes a long way toward preventing tip-over catastrophes.