Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beginner camera for nephew

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have an 11-year-old nephew, and his mom/my sister said that he wants a camera for his birthday. Also that he might be taking a beginner photography class this summer. Price range is low - this is a birthday present that we'd typically spend <$100 on. That's obviously not a lot for a camera.

My sister has a K-50, on my recommendation. So she has a couple Pentax lenses and a Pentax body.

Does it make any sense to get him a used Kx or something along those lines? You can old Pentax bodies with a 18-55mm lens on eBay or Goodwill or probably here for under $100, or even under $50.

Thoughts?

06-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PM sent.
06-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really liked my K-x.

I guess my hesitation would be if his peers are all using non-DSLR cameras and his instructor is an ignoramus who can't wrap his/her head around the fact that Pentax is a perfectly viable camera maker.

The quality of the images produced by my old K-x certainly stand up well to my K-01 and K-5 II (and Oly EM10).
06-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Digital or film?

If digital, even an *istDL might be the way to go. Image quality more than adequate for screen resolution or any size an 11 year old might want to print, can go totally manual, and the lack of shake reduction will teach him the importance of appropriate shutter speeds plus steadiness in holding and shutter release.

The only caveat I'd have about the kit lens is that it's three stops slower at 50/55mm than even the slowest film-era kit fifty and his ability to explore shallow DOF is going to be hampered accordingly, especially in dim light. It might be worth throwing in an M or A 50/2.0 (if his mother doesn't have a DA50/1.8 to lend him) and teaching him about the green button as and if needed.

If we're talking about film... he's only eleven, so how big are his hands? Ergonomically speaking, does he need something closer to an MX than a K1000?

06-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Digital or film?

If digital, even an *istDL might be the way to go. Image quality more than adequate for screen resolution or any size an 11 year old might want to print, can go totally manual, and the lack of shake reduction will teach him the importance of appropriate shutter speeds plus steadiness in holding and shutter release.

The only caveat I'd have about the kit lens is that it's three stops slower at 50/55mm than even the slowest film-era kit fifty and his ability to explore shallow DOF is going to be hampered accordingly, especially in dim light. It might be worth throwing in an M or A 50/2.0 (if his mother doesn't have a DA50/1.8 to lend him) and teaching him about the green button as and if needed.

If we're talking about film... he's only eleven, so how big are his hands? Ergonomically speaking, does he need something closer to an MX than a K1000?
I may have an in on a *istDL for just the right price...

He's a very big kid. He's basically the same size I am, and I'm 46.
06-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree about the older, less expensive bodies like the *istDL and K-x and will add the K100D to the list. Any of those will offer some serious photography tools without breaking the bank. An 18-55mm zoom is a great starter lens as are any number of less expensive 28-80(ish) zooms that can be had for around $30 any day of the week.
06-10-2017, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I may have an in on a *istDL for just the right price...

He's a very big kid. He's basically the same size I am, and I'm 46.
Age isn't everything - midgets and dwarves can also be 46, and I once knew a 10 year old who stood as tall as I did at 35 - but your point is taken.

06-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would go for something a bit more advanced like a K10D or a K200D. Finding one for $100 might be a challenge. The budget will need to be upped somewhat but it will be worth it. A *istDL is just a bit basic - six megapixels in an age when any cellphone has double that? Hmmmm.....

A *istDL would also be pretty old and might not have much life left in it.

A K10D or a K200D has all the advanced features that the youngster could grow into, while having all the automation needed to get going without getting into the technicalities.

My teenagers both get along just fine with the K200D that I bought used so that they can stop borrowing my K10D.

Another bonus is that a used K10D or K200D would still get a decent price if nephew decides that photography is not his thing.

Last edited by Wasp; 06-10-2017 at 01:47 PM.
06-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wouldn't go with anything that doesn't do video. Pros:
a) video
b) isn't ancient
c) will be more responsive

If the course is at all aimed at younger people, smartphones and video might be taken into account. Also, your nephew might, you know, want his camera to do video
06-10-2017, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The cellphone may have more MP, but even the *istDL's pixels are so much better in less than ideal light that it isn't funny.
06-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The cellphone may have more MP, but even the *istDL's pixels are so much better in less than ideal light that it isn't funny.
Agree
The photo's I have sold, along with most of the contests I have won were all taken with my DL. My K-30 took some tweeking to get the color close to that of the DL the K-s2 is close to the colors of the Dl but still not quite as nice. My K200 is the closest of all them to the DL.
06-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I have an 11-year-old nephew, and his mom/my sister said that he wants a camera for his birthday. Also that he might be taking a beginner photography class this summer. Price range is low - this is a birthday present that we'd typically spend <$100 on. That's obviously not a lot for a camera.

My sister has a K-50, on my recommendation. So she has a couple Pentax lenses and a Pentax body.
First, I'd highly recommend contacting the teacher of the photography class to see their recommendation. He may hate the size and weight and complexity of a DSLR when at his age he'd rather have a small red Panasonic Lumix DMC TS30
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Digital Camera (Red) DMCTS30R B&H Photo
or
a bright yellow Fujifilm Finepix XP90
Fujifilm FinePix XP90 Digital Camera (Yellow) 16500466 B&H Photo

Costco carries the Fujifilm Finepix XP120 which also has built in wifi. There is a lot to be said about being an 11 year old boy and having a camera that is rugged, waterproof, and has wifi.

If this is his first camera, he won't appreciate the advantages of the DSLR until he's about 13 or 14. But if his teacher welcomes a DSLR, then I think many of the previous suggestions are spot on. Keh.com has a K-X in Excellent Plus condition for $126 and with a 180 warranty.
06-11-2017, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
First, I'd highly recommend contacting the teacher of the photography class to see their recommendation.
No, don't.

Ask the teacher what the minimum requirements of the class are.

I once asked this question of an "expert", when I was thinking of getting into serious photography, and was directed to the SFXn and the then-current Nikon equivalent, which were then expensive flagship cameras. They were a lot of money, and I lacked both the personal income and the nerve to ask my parents for either. What I really needed back then was a K1000 or the equivalents from Chinon or Ricoh, with a good 50mm on the front and someone willing to teach me how to make the most of it.
06-11-2017, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So the solution presented itself quickly - thanks to this forum I've found a source for an exceptionally generously priced ist DL with an FA 35-80mm lens. I think this will work to get my nephew started, and in a system that both his mom and I have. And with a decade-old camera there are few worries of an 11-year old breaking/losing/dropping a very expensive piece of kit.

Hopefully whoever teaches his class will be a reasonable human being and see that this is a perfectly good camera for a kid to learn on.
06-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I was going to suggest the LX100 as a good camera to learn photography on. It has an aperture ring and shutter speed dials, kind of like an old-school camera, and it also has a big exposure compensation dial. It's not too large and takes very nice pictures, and has a very nice zoom lens. The size would also be great for an 11-year old, but it's not the cheapest camera.