Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 03:56 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oops, my lens has a boo boo

my HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR has a boo boo and I need suggestions on what to do.

a very small part of the front thread ( where you attach a filter ) has been cracked and as a result the threads will not allow me securely fasten a filter. the broken section juts into the " circle "

the good news is that it was purchased last August and still has factory warranty but would this be considered " mishandling " and not covered by the warranty?

If I work hard, I can get a filter to attach but at the least movement, the filter comes loose.

I have no idea when the lens got the boo boo

any thoughts or suggestions.

06-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps a picture of said booboo?
06-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you don't recall a particular incident, that may come in under QA/wear-and-tear. You've nothing to lose by sending it in and making a warranty claim. Do it now before the warranty expires (assuming you only have a year - worst case).

The worst they can do is say no, you must pay - and in that case you will need the repair done anyway. At best they will cover it, and may even buff your lens up before sending it back to you.
06-14-2017, 04:42 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
perhaps a picture of said booboo?

here are my best efforts to photograph of the boo boo

I contacted Pentax USA yesterday and they were suppose to send me info on how and where to send the lens for warranty work but I haven't received it yet

yes I have a 1 year factory warranty but the lens was purchased in August of 2016 so I still have some time

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 
06-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My guess is that it won't be covered under warranty. Send them the photo to try getting a decision before shipping the lens.

If it's *not* covered by warranty, consider using a small screwdriver or small pliers to gently shift both indented portions to the edge of the "circle". Be gentle and avoid further damage to the inner threads.
06-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My guess is that it won't be covered under warranty. Send them the photo to try getting a decision before shipping the lens.

If it's *not* covered by warranty, consider using a small screwdriver or small pliers to gently shift both indented portions to the edge of the "circle". Be gentle and avoid further damage to the inner threads.
I have a friend who is very "tool friendly", I thought about asking him to "pry it into place and placing glue to the split but am worried about breaking it further or the glue causing a problem itself.

any thoughts about that
06-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd hesitate to use glue. That's an unknown plastic so I wouldn't know which glue to use. If glue seeps between the threads it will become more difficult to get a filter on.

Dcshooter and others here have more experience with repair. They might have more info re. glue.

06-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

just a thought - you could epoxy a step-up ring onto the lens for future filter usage....
06-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, just as a thought, that part of the filter ring is not completely needed. If it had broken off completely, the filter would most likely thread right on as long as the portions of the filter ring before and after were not pinching the filter from passing by that area.

But a warranty repair is a much better idea as long as it is covered!

Regards,
06-14-2017, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
just a thought - you could epoxy a step-up ring onto the lens for future filter usage....
That would be my suggestion as well if everything else fails. But I'd rather use a cheap filter with front thread and take the glass out so you don't have to buy new filters with a larger thread. Just make sure it doesn't vignette before finally glueing it to the lens.

Last edited by alpheios; 06-14-2017 at 06:49 AM.
06-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
has anyone done any business with the authorized repair people for Pentax in the US

what was your experience

also any other recommendations for someone who might be able to repair

please provide contact info if you can

thanks
06-14-2017, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update - Happy News

I am lucky enough to have an old fashion brick and mortar photography store here in Topeka Kansas

I don't buy a lot of equipment from them but I have taken classes there and had photos mounted on canvas, slate and metal

Wolfe's Camera | Photo Superstore in Topeka Kansas

I stopped by this AM with my "injured " lens

I didn't see the gentleman - Tom - I was looking for and talked to another employee

he was very sympathetic but didn't have any idea on what I could do and doubted that it would be covered under warranty

on the way out of the store I spotted Tom. I waited until he was available and thanked him for his help in giving me advice for photography in the Gran Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks trip. He asked why I was there and I showed him the " boo boo "

He had an idea and got a $49.00 tool which I would call a " spreader " and tried it. It worked and we tested it by mounting a UV filter.

I asked about the charge and he said " no charge " and put the filter and tool back into their cases

check out their web site please, they also do ebay auctions as well

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-14-2017 at 11:06 AM.
06-14-2017, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am lucky enough to have an old fashion brick and mortar photography store here in Topeka Kansas

I don't buy a lot of equipment from them but I have taken classes there and had photos mounted on canvas, slate and metal

I didn't see the gentleman - Tom - I was looking for and talked to another employee

he was very sympathetic but didn't have any idea on what I could do and doubted that it would be covered under warranty

on the way out of the store I spotted Tom. I waited until he was available and thanked him for his help in giving me advice for photography in the Gran Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks trip. He asked why I was there and I showed him the " boo boo "

He had an idea and got a $49.00 tool which I would call a " spreader " and tried it. It worked and we tested it by mounting a UV filter.

I asked about the charge and he said " no charge " and put the filter and tool back into their cases

Tom recognizes a very important principle of business--especially small retail business. It's important to build a positive relationship with the customer. That free repair, which only cost him a few minutes of his time, made you feel positive about patronizing his shop and thus be more likely to do paying business with him in the future as well as tell others who would be similarly inclined to patronize the shop. That's the kind of advertising that just can't be bought.
06-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Tom recognizes a very important principle of business--especially small retail business. It's important to build a positive relationship with the customer. That free repair, which only cost him a few minutes of his time, made you feel positive about patronizing his shop and thus be more likely to do paying business with him in the future as well as tell others who would be similarly inclined to patronize the shop. That's the kind of advertising that just can't be bought.
he is a smart man as is most of the employees at the store
06-15-2017, 03:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I am glad to hear you got it fixed. It is very rare to find a camera shop in business, let alone one that would do a fix for free for you. Did they actually repair the cracked part or did they push it back into place? I tend not to use filters but for lenses that have delicate plastic filter threads such as my DA 17-70 and DFA 100 Macro WR, I put on Domke Digital Ultra clear filters, which actually do not filter, but protect the lens and filter threads. These may be worth considering if the lens will not securely hold a filter. Someone else mentioned a step up ring, and that would also work but would also make the filter thread area of the inner barrel wider and may interfere with mounting the hood. The ultra clear filters for me serve the purpose of converting delicate plastic filter threads to sturdy metal. As others stated, I would avoid glue.