Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

P setting on a Vivitar ser one Ver Three 70-210 mm lens for Pentax or ?

Is the P on the lens the same as an A on Pentax lenses?

06-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope.
06-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.
06-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm sure that in the film days it might have had a function but in the DSLR world, nothing.

06-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Found some reference to Ricoh having a P function. But the pin to activate will not match Pentax bodies?
Anyway the fellow I bought it from has used it on his K-1 in full manual/ I will also. Great lens.
Thanks.
06-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john e Quote
Found some reference to Ricoh having a P function. But the pin to activate will not match Pentax bodies?
Anyway the fellow I bought it from has used it on his K-1 in full manual/ I will also. Great lens.
Thanks.
Danger Will Robinson!!!

The "P" means Ricoh P mount, a variant of Pentax K. The pin you mentioned (the dreaded "Ricoh Pin") is a potential hazard when mounted to an auto-focus Pentax body. The AF drive well is in the path of the pin and if the two foul, the lens will be very difficult to remove!!!*

The threat is real and worth paying attention to. Here are the summary points:
  • There are several versions of the Ricoh Pin ranging from a spring-loaded square-ended affair to an almost-flush ball contact
  • The spring-loaded version is deadly and at very least will require considerable time with a thin feeler-gauge slipped between mount faces in an attempt to coax the pin to retract
  • The ball type is fairly benign, but may still get caught in the AF pawl. If one wishes to take the risk with that type, take care to retract the pawl first by putting the camera in manual focus mode
  • The pin may be surgically neutralized by simple removal (requires JIS screwdriver)
Just thought I would let you know.

Steve

* Worst case reports on the Web required application of a Dremel tool to cut the lens away. Not pretty.
06-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I'm sure that in the film days it might have had a function but in the DSLR world, nothing.
It certainly did! That little pin enabled shutter-priority and programmed exposure automation on the semi-famous Ricoh XR-P camera and subsequent models. I said semi-famous because the XRP remains underappreciated despite having premium features and performance as an enthusiast's SLR. Its closest competition in the Pentax line was the Super Program and the two were similarly priced. What the XRP offered was a more traditional control layout, comprehensive analog viewfinder display, and addition of several program options along with a built-in intervalometer and AE lock. Yes, both cameras were capable of TTL flash metering.

Steve

06-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It certainly did! That little pin enabled shutter-priority and programmed exposure automation on the semi-famous Ricoh XR-P camera and subsequent models. I said semi-famous because the XRP remains underappreciated despite having premium features and performance as an enthusiast's SLR.
Thanks for that Steve.
06-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. My lens is marked R-P/K and it has the small rounded head just below
the surface of the mount. So it is a Ricoh. I tried it on a K3 and it mounts and dismounts ok. The
seller used it on a K1 with no problems. I will definitely use it full manual mode now on a K5.
06-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome! Enjoy your new lens.