Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by diyanbro Quote
Jeff Lopez what do you mean by "you may hit gold"?
You could use the focusing screen for your dslr, those fs were really good for manual focusing, much better than the ebay $20 versions

07-03-2017, 03:50 AM   #32

On topic:
when you want to use that focusing screen, these must be interchangeable on both the DSLR and that Chinon box, and fit..
Or do i misunderstand something??

lowlandspentax

Last edited by lowlandspentax; 07-03-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: removed harm to OP/TS
07-03-2017, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lowlandspentax Quote
On topic:
when you want to use that focusing screen, these must be interchangeable on both the DSLR and that Chinon box, and fit..
Or do i misunderstand something??
The qualifier was the little word "may". A screen out of a film SLR "may" be useful in a Pentax dSLR if:
  • The screen is large enough to be be cut down to fit. For the K-1, that is a tough order to fill.* For any of the APS-C bodies, it is easy-peasy.
  • The screen thickness must not exceed the maximum supported by the camera. If zero shim is still too thick, the screen is unusable.

QuoteOriginally posted by lowlandspentax Quote
Isn't it cute?!
As for cuteness...the OP has two pages of responses indicating that the camera has minimal value. The opportunity to derive some value from the purchase is purely natural, if not cute. Belittling a new member is low, very low and your first three comments were quite enough.

Steve

* Screen size is related to viewfinder magnification and coverage. For 1x and 100%, the screen would be 24x36mm + margin on all sides. The K-1 viewfinder is 0.7x and 100% (same as the Nikon D810) and the screen is large enough that suppliers like focusingscreen.com are limited to Canon-sourced screens for cutdown for that camera. With any luck, a vintage film camera may have a screen that will work. I currently have three film bodies with potential donor screens that I may "mine" at some future date. The Chinon CE-4 has 0.87x and 92% and may well be a good candidate.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-03-2017 at 10:09 AM.
07-03-2017, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #34

I want to apologise to OP/TS.

and do understand now i am unable to valuate the camera he bought and the intentions he had to do so.

All the best to you all.

lowlandspentax

08-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #35
Forum Member

It is definitely a Chinon.

Pity it's been vandalised as they are actually pretty good cameras - I have a CE4s I was bought as a birthday present in 1981 or '82. Still works fine and has never been serviced - because I don't know anywhere that will service them. . No disintegrating light seals, and it has a DOF preview lever unlike equivalent Pentaxes . If it hadn't been for the focus aid in the MEF it would have been my no.1 camera for a lot longer. Possibly the fastest shutter speeds are a bit off, but it is 35 years old.

I'm not sure its a CE4 though - the leatherette looks wrong and the DOF lever has vertical ridges, also the 0 on the self timer should be green, not red. Ditto the CE4s. It's not a CE5 as they have sockets for attaching a battery grip on the left. And the CE3 has a Pentax-style mechanical timer. So a bit of a puzzle really.

Last edited by redbirdpete; 08-10-2017 at 08:14 AM.