Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K70 with free 50mm 1.8 or K3 II?

I have a dilemma. I'm after a second body to accompany my K3, and currently I can get the K70 with a 50mm 1.8 lens for 599. However, I can also get a used K3 II for a bit less (missed a new one for the same price).
Is there really a huge difference between the 2? I know the burst mode is faster on the 3, but otherwise there seems to be little in it.
I'm also curious to know if the auto focus speed is notably better on either compared with my K3, which is great if the subject isn't moving much, but too slow for birds in flight.
Also, are either better at high ISO?
Cheers for any input.

06-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
-
Loyal Site Supporter

Both great choices, Kev.

The thing with the K-3II (and the K-3 you already own) is that it's a "pro-sumer" level camera (for want of a better term) with premium build quality, long shutter life, twin card slots, great battery life and battery grip option - the kind of things you'd expect at this level.

I've tried the K-70, and it's a really nice camera. The build quality is very good, though not up to the K-3II's standard. It does have some advantages over the K-3II - such as the articulating screen, improved high ISO performance and built-in flash. Plus, it's lighter and a bit more compact, which might be useful if you want a less cumbersome body to carry around.

The K-3 is my main everyday camera, and I subsequently added a K-3II as my backup. Part of the reason was that I got a great deal on it at the time, but I also liked the idea that my image processing presets for the K-3 were immediately transferrable onto files from the K-3II (that wouldn't be so with the K-70, particularly at the higher ISO settings). And I really do prefer the build of the higher-end Pentax bodies - but that's just me. There's nothing wrong with the quality of the K-70 or any other Pentax body I've ever tried

EDIT: Re AF, the K-70 uses the older SAFOX X processing, while the K-3II has SAFOX 11 - so AF performance on the K-3II should be a little better

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-18-2017 at 12:14 AM.
06-18-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
I have a dilemma. I'm after a second body to accompany my K3, and currently I can get the K70 with a 50mm 1.8 lens for 599. However, I can also get a used K3 II for a bit less (missed a new one for the same price).
Is there really a huge difference between the 2? I know the burst mode is faster on the 3, but otherwise there seems to be little in it.
I'm also curious to know if the auto focus speed is notably better on either compared with my K3, which is great if the subject isn't moving much, but too slow for birds in flight.
Also, are either better at high ISO?
Cheers for any input.
The K-3 II lasts longer and shoots faster, the K-70 has better image quality and more/newer features. I'd base my decision on how heavily you use your gear, and for light to moderated usage I'd go for the K-70.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-18-2017, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With a K-3 & K-3ii set up you only need one battery set and charger, the K-70 has a smaller battery. Also, I came from the K-50 where everything I needed is in the viewfinder, to the K-3ii and so I have never really gelled with the top screen. Going the other way you might possibly miss the top screen on the K-70?
The size, weight and feature set of the K-70 is compelling though with the only minor downside being the louder shutter sound. Still I use my K-50 without wincing so it's not that bad. I have a film body, P30T, now that is loud and will shake a tripod .

06-18-2017, 02:28 AM   #5
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
With a K-3 & K-3ii set up you only need one battery set and charger, the K-70 has a smaller battery. Also, I came from the K-50 where everything I needed is in the viewfinder, to the K-3ii and so I have never really gelled with the top screen. Going the other way you might possibly miss the top screen on the K-70?
The size, weight and feature set of the K-70 is compelling though with the only minor downside being the louder shutter sound. Still I use my K-50 without wincing so it's not that bad. I have a film body, P30T, now that is loud and will shake a tripod .
Hadn't thought of those. Good points, Kevin
06-18-2017, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the second body is a direct and immediate backup to the first (e.g. for commercial work), it should be as close as possible to the first so all the switches fall to hand more or less in the same place and there are no significant differences in switching between the two. The K3-ii then seems to become the better choice.

If it's just for fun, as it were, and you want something a little different from what you already have, then the K-70 should come more strongly into consideration.

It's difficult, because each offers something the other does not and there is no clear winner in this case. At the end of the day, though, you have to assess carefully what you will (or in any professional capacity MUST) use the camera FOR, and which feature set this dovetails best with.

(Okay, I have to admit - the free 50/1.8 would be a powerful draw for a new user, especially since I have one and know how good it can be - but that isn't you. There was a rash of 50/1.8's being sold here in the Forum Marketplace a while back, new in box, because people were upgrading to the K-3 as it was being superceded at markdown prices and it was going out the door with a lens that many already had.)
06-18-2017, 03:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies so far. The point about the battery is a very good one, and I don't think I'd really miss the top screen. As the K70 would potentially be slower with AF, it may rule it out, as it's mainly wildlife and birds in flight in particular that I find the K3 lacking for. The better image at High ISO would be a draw, but again, it's not an overriding factor ultimately. I woukd think about the KP if it were, though I've not looked at its AF spec, and it's odd looking.
My ultimate intention will be to have the K3 in use with the Macro lens while keeping the zoom on the new camera, just to save swapping and missing shots.

06-18-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
KDD
Veteran Member

If you chose k-70, suggest buy 3 batteries.
06-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
Interesting. Not good then. I have 2 for the K3, they last ages...
06-18-2017, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
I have one spare for the K-50 and rarely needed it. I think, being 24MP with one slot you might need a 32GB card though, or carry spares
06-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I have one spare for the K-50 and rarely needed it. I think, being 24MP with one slot you might need a 32GB card though, or carry spares
I use a 64 in slot 1 in my K3, and have loads of 32 and 16s...
06-18-2017, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 32 in slot 1 in my K-1, usually nothing in Slot 2. This is my way of telling myself to get those pics the heck out and onto a hard drive (plus backups), and process them.

Even so, there is space for nearly 400 raw shots at full frame resolution. Apart from a couple of special occasions recently where I spilled over into the reserve card I'd fitted, this is more shots than I take in a month with any camera.
06-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have a 32 in slot 1 in my K-1, usually nothing in Slot 2. This is my way of telling myself to get those pics the heck out and onto a hard drive (plus backups), and process them.

Even so, there is space for nearly 400 raw shots at full frame resolution. Apart from a couple of special occasions recently where I spilled over into the reserve card I'd fitted, this is more shots than I take in a month with any camera.
I have been known to take 900 in a day...
06-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
I have been known to take 900 in a day...
Would half of those, or even a third of them, be on the backup body? Or, is there a chance that your backup body may eventually become your main one (as I expect mine will)? If potentially "yes" to either of those, you probably ought to prioritise shutter life high on your list
06-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Would half of those, or even a third of them, be on the backup body? Or, is there a chance that your backup body may eventually become your main one (as I expect mine will)? If potentially "yes" to either of those, you probably ought to prioritise shutter life high on your list
It depends on the day. I principally shoot wildlife, mainly with the zoom, but to have a macro ready to go would be very useful. It's probably only 25 per cent of my shooting at the moment because I just step (a long way) back and use the remarkable zoom a lot of the time. I feel it woukd increase though, but shutter life could be a concern. That said I'm just over 20000 on the K3, which must be nearly 2 years old now. If I was shooting every day, it would be done by now, but sadly there is a thing called work that gets in the way...