Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #1

If I use back button focusing will a remote shutter release still work?

Hi, Earlier in the year I asked how to set up back button focusing on a K-70. I set it up, then the camera had to be sent away for repair. Came back OK but back button focusing is not enabled. Meanwhile I have purchased a remote shutter release and wonder if it will work with back button focusing enabled. Thanks. Joyce Keay

06-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Joyce, the answer should be yes, I've used back button focus on a K5 and the K-1 and have no dramas using the remote cable or wireless remote. Just set up back button focus and give it a go.

Tas
06-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, Earlier in the year I asked how to set up back button focusing on a K-70. I set it up, then the camera had to be sent away for repair. Came back OK but back button focusing is not enabled. Meanwhile I have purchased a remote shutter release and wonder if it will work with back button focusing enabled. Thanks. Joyce Keay
It work just fine. And when your camera goes in for repair they set everything back to factory settings, at least I think so, I had to go through the menus and reset several items.
06-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learned the hard way that when sending your camera off for repair to go into the menu and write down every single setting. That way you have a guide to set it back up when it comes back.

06-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Remember also depending on how you set it up. AF will not be performed with the shutter release cable. So it depends on what you want.
If this should happen check the menu. I dont have a K-70 so cant say. The K-70 is close to the K-30.
I think the setup if you want AF with the shutter release cable, you shouldnt disable AF with the shutter button even though you have enabled AF with the back-button.

Culture.
06-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't have the remote release but do use a cable release from time to time with my K-70 (mostly tripod shots). I normally use back button focusing (set to AF2 mode) but if I know I am going to be using the remote cable I switch to the AF1 mode and the cable controls will then auto-focus and fire the shutter.

Pages 61 and 107 of the PDF owners manual cover the AF settings.
06-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies

I've tested it out now and it works. I've got it set up so that I push the back button for focus and then push the cable release when I'm ready to shoot. Also leaving ISO on auto helps a lot. Learning new things almost every day.