Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 ll GPS location limits

I have used the K3 ll GPS function to reduce star trails during lengthy night time exposures but am wondering if after you go through the process with the camera to activate the GPS location function if you are limited to that exact spot where your camera and tripod sit or whether it can be picked up and moved 10 feet or 50 feet? Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

06-21-2017, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The answer would depend on the local variability of the magnetic environment (that's what's being calibrated during the setup process).

GPS, itself, is robust to any movement because the camera will just get another GPS fix to get the latitude and longitude wherever you go.

And the internal accelerometer of the camera will give an accurate estimate of how far above the horizon you are pointing and the roll angle orientation of the camera (i.e., whether it's in portrait, landscape, or some other orientation). That's also robust.

What is harder for the camera to know is whether you are pointing north, south, east, or west. That requires good magnetic compass data which can be tricky to measure because so many things can perturb the earth's weak magnetic field.

Thus the answer to your question is "it depends". If you are in the middle of an undeveloped rural field with no iron-bearing minerals deposits, you could probably move a mile with no problem. But if you are near buildings, cars, power lines, buried pipes, iron-bearing rocks, volcanic deposits, etc, then maybe 10 feet might throw things off.
06-21-2017, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I have used the K3 ll GPS function to reduce star trails during lengthy night time exposures but am wondering if after you go through the process with the camera to activate the GPS location function if you are limited to that exact spot where your camera and tripod sit or whether it can be picked up and moved 10 feet or 50 feet? Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob
A small movement shouldn't make a big difference, IMO. However, if you ever start getting poor results, I'd just re-calibrate and you should be all set.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The answer would depend on the local variability of the magnetic environment (that's what's being calibrated during the setup process).

GPS, itself, is robust to any movement because the camera will just get another GPS fix to get the latitude and longitude wherever you go.

And the internal accelerometer of the camera will give an accurate estimate of how far above the horizon you are pointing and the roll angle orientation of the camera (i.e., whether it's in portrait, landscape, or some other orientation). That's also robust.

What is harder for the camera to know is whether you are pointing north, south, east, or west. That requires good magnetic compass data which can be tricky to measure because so many things can perturb the earth's weak magnetic field.

Thus the answer to your question is "it depends". If you are in the middle of an undeveloped rural field with no iron-bearing minerals deposits, you could probably move a mile with no problem. But if you are near buildings, cars, power lines, buried pipes, iron-bearing rocks, volcanic deposits, etc, then maybe 10 feet might throw things off.
Thanks Photoptimist and Adam, You have answered my question. I am taking another "night sky" photo workshop and once before used the GPS to allow for longer exposures than others could take without star trails and it is great, but... it is a little putzy having to go through the setup process each time you change your position. We are in northern Minnesota on the Canadian border with lots of crazy magnetic variations so it looks like if I move then I re-set the GPS. I can live with it ;-) It is simply amazing what the sensor can pick up that our eyes can't see... ;-)

Cheers, Bob