Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

T mount problem

I asked this question in the Astrophotography social group and received a few answers but I thought asking in a wider venue might help me further. I am a new owner of a K-70 and purchased a Pentax K SLR / DSLR Deluxe Astrophotography Kit (1.25") from Telescopeadapters.com and it's a very nice kit. However, the t-ring (made by Bower) does not fit flush with the camera body and the lens information contacts are exposed to the dust and bugs and dew. I used the t-ring the other night for some prime focus activity and the next day I had trouble with auto-focus. After cleaning the contacts 3 times with a microfiber cloth the camera worked fine again. Someone at the aforementioned astrophotography suggested buying some o-rings to fill the gap, and I could do that, but I think it would be better to find a t-ring that fits properly, one that doesn't leave the contacts exposed. Any ideas? Thanks
-dave

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
06-22-2017, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davedyer Quote
but I think it would be better to find a t-ring that fits properly,
Simply put, there should be no gap.

Check for marks which might indicate that it is binding, something's wrong.
06-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will probably not find any other to completley seal off the contacts. Your only solution will be to perhaps use some electrical tape wrapped around it to help seal it. (Wrap the tape around it after installing.)

I can check mine (I have a few different kinds), to see if any completely cover the contacts, yet I have had no problems if they don't.
06-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A rubber band or one of those elastic things people with hair use to hold it back might work to protect the contacts when you're using the t-mount. Then just pop it off when you use a regular lens.

- Eric

06-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have one of these. Very good quality. It covers the contacts on my K10D.

Qualide T-Mount Lens Adapter for Pentax K 35mm SLR Film Camera 25-166-2227

The rubber band/o-ring/hair band is a common solution for screw-mount lenses with narrow bases that do not cover the contacts.
06-24-2017, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
t mount problem solved!!!

I spoke with a young lady at Bower over the electrical telephone and she suggested that the ring I had was either a clone or outdated. I ordered one from B&H (it looked a bit different with knurls on the outer edge) and it arrived today. And it fits like a glove; no more gap, no more exposed contacts.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo