Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Bellows for dummies

So I picked up bellows and slapped on a Helios 44 thinking I'd do some macro photography, but I can't focus on anything! The closest thing to being even remotely in focus was a car some 15 meters away. And I mean it was pretty far from being in focus. Just everything closer looked like multicoloured blobs. I watched a couple of videos, thinking maybe I have to have a macro lens, but that doesn't seem to be the case. But I haven't figured out how to focus the thing...

06-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A bellows should not do that. You don't need a macro lens for close-focusing with a bellows although macro lenses typically are sharper than non-macros.

Does your Helios focus normally when not on the bellows? Could there be elements missing from the Helios?

Is there any glass inside the bellows? (There shouldn't be.)
06-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might find this helpful:

The Pentax Bellows eBook - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
06-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
A bellows should not do that. You don't need a macro lens for close-focusing with a bellows although macro lenses typically are sharper than non-macros.

Does your Helios focus normally when not on the bellows? Could there be elements missing from the Helios?

Is there any glass inside the bellows? (There shouldn't be.)
I tried three lenses that work fine without the bellows, and none would focus. The closest one to having anything in focus was a Mir 37mm f2.8. I don't have a wider M42 lens, so couldn't try anything else. There is no glass inside the bellows..

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 07:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
Thanks! Will check it out

06-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #5

The 100mm f/4 Bellows lens can focus to infinity.

With a 58mm lens and a bellows extension of 59mm magnification is ~1×. Distance from the camera sensor to subject in focus is 228mm (8.98 inches). Amount of extension is measured from the camera mount to the front of the lens mount on the bellows.

At 118mm of extension the magnification is ~2.0× with a subject to sensor distance of 257mm (10.12 inches). So the lens is 29mm (1.14 in) closer to the subject.

Make sure your lens is close enough to the subject in order to focus.
06-23-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It almost sounds like you're trying lenses that are too short. I'm going to guess that the area of focus is so close that you may not have checked there. If a lens focuses fine without a bellows, there's nothing in the bellows that should mess that up.
06-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It almost sounds like you're trying lenses that are too short. I'm going to guess that the area of focus is so close that you may not have checked there. If a lens focuses fine without a bellows, there's nothing in the bellows that should mess that up.
That's what I'm thinking, too.

Even at minimum extension (bellows fully compressed flat), the typical bellows adds at least a few centimeters of extension. The point of focus might be almost touching the filter ring.

06-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No way am I much of a macro photographer but have tried bellows and not been able to focus on something 15 metres away.
Try your other lenses.
Or put your K-5 in live view, hold the lens in front of the body. 3 to 5 cms away and put an object in front say 25cms away then move the lens backwards and forwards between the body and the object. You should get a point where the object is focussed (or close to it). Then move the object closer.
That should give you an idea of bellows extension and object distance required.
Or I have given you a lot of hassle without any reward. I hope it works.
06-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
No way am I much of a macro photographer but have tried bellows and not been able to focus on something 15 metres away.
Yes, this is pretty typical with most bellows. Even those with the slimmest front/rear standards add 50-60mm extension at minimum. With a lens such as the Helios 44 58mm that translates to an instant 1:1 reproduction ratio and a focus distance of about 23 cm.* Infinity focus is not available except with dedicated bellows lenses featuring a long flange registration distance or adapted medium/large format lenses.

Steve

* I actually have this setup with the Helios 44. For general closeup use where 1x or greater magnification is not required, bellows is a poor solution. In fact, even a slender 12mm extension tube is not very workable with shorter than 100mm focal length.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-23-2017 at 06:59 PM.
06-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys were right, I could focus it with a 135mm lens. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by IgorZ; 06-29-2017 at 08:02 AM.
06-27-2017, 05:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Cool! I'm glad you got it figured out. A bellows and a 135mm lens is a nice set-up for shooting flowers.