Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Help me! Jessop Atlantic monopod 4TS QR plate needed (or replacement).

I have never used a monopod but have occasionally wished I had some support when using my Tamron SP 23A so when I saw one for sale (minus the quick release plate) for 10 and being reassured that a replacement plate would be easy to source I decided to buy it.
A quick look on the WWW has not come up with any answers to me.

Could somebody recommend a replacement? I understand Vanguard make QR plates that fit Jessop tripods, if so which one?
Is this monopod any good? It extends to my height and seems robust enough to take a few pounds of weight? Presumably the QR plate would be similarly robust.

The plate holder has some lugs in it so I don't think some cheap ebay item will fit.

Another stupid question, can I take it off and fit a different head?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most monopods have a 1/4" thread to attach the head - I imagine yours will too. I use a Manfrotto 804RC2 3-way head on both of my tripods (Benbo and Giotto CF), and on my monopod. Each head came with a Q/R plate, and extras are easily available on Ebay (the non-OEM ones work fine). I know I don't need three-way on the monopod, as I don't need to pan with it, but I got the three cheaply as a job lot ! If there is a Jessops near you, you could check with them regarding replacement heads or Q/R plates, or possibly LCE. My monopod and head will happily take the heaviest kit I've got (K20D with battery grip, Sigma 70-300 lens) with no signs of stress, although I do remove the camera when moving from place to place, and keep the strap round my neck when using the monopod, just in case.

HTH
06-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will probably get some backlash, but I don't use a head on my monopod. I just screw it straight on the camera and go.
06-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I will probably get some backlash, but I don't use a head on my monopod. I just screw it straight on the camera and go.
I will think about doing just that if I have no luck finding one. Thank you.

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 07:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Most monopods have a 1/4" thread to attach the head - I imagine yours will too. I use a Manfrotto 804RC2 3-way head on both of my tripods (Benbo and Giotto CF), and on my monopod. Each head came with a Q/R plate, and extras are easily available on Ebay (the non-OEM ones work fine). I know I don't need three-way on the monopod, as I don't need to pan with it, but I got the three cheaply as a job lot ! If there is a Jessops near you, you could check with them regarding replacement heads or Q/R plates, or possibly LCE. My monopod and head will happily take the heaviest kit I've got (K20D with battery grip, Sigma 70-300 lens) with no signs of stress, although I do remove the camera when moving from place to place, and keep the strap round my neck when using the monopod, just in case.

HTH

I wonder, are Jessop and Jessops the same people?
There is a Jessops in Southampton, I shall pop in. Thank you.

06-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
are Jessop and Jessops the same people?
I believe so
06-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Contrary to what 35mmfilmfan said, inexpensive monopods that have a head or clamp at the top commonly have it attached directly to the monopod outer tube with no 1/4 X 20 screw, so they cannot be removed. The plate to fit that clamp may have unique dimensions, but might fit a variety of similar or identical pods sold under a variety of names. Whether a plate is available separately is anybody's guess, but I am skeptical. It's possible one of the several plates used by Manfrotto or Slik might fit, but I'm not sure how you'd determine that without visiting a store that had many tripods out that you could handle. From what I can see it takes a plate that has dovetails front and rear but vertical sides.that sits down into the clamp. Both Manfrotto and Slik use several, even multiple plates of this design that come in different sizes.

Preliminary suggestion for other Pentaxians to help locate a plate that fits: measure and post the EXACT size of the clamp opening: right to left and back to front. The second measurement should be at the top edge of the opening itself = in the view you posted, measure from just to the left of the locking cam to the front edge at the top, not down inside the opening.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-26-2017 at 03:16 AM.
06-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Contrary to what 35mmfilmfan said, inexpensive monopods that have a head or clamp at the top commonly have it attached directly to the monopod outer tube with no 1/4 X 20 crew, so they cannot be removed. The plate to fit that clamp may have unique dimensions, but might fit a variety of similar or identical pods sold under a variety of names. Whether a plate is available separately is anybody's guess, but I am skeptical. It's possible one of the several plates used by Manfrotto or Slik might fit, but I'm not sure how you'd determine that without visiting a store that had many tripods out that you could handle. From what I can see it takes a plate that has dovetails front and rear but vertical sides.that sits down into the clamp. Both Manfrotto and Slik use several, even multiple plates of this design that come in different sizes.

Preliminary suggestion for other Pentaxians to help locate a plate that fits: measure and post the EXACT size of the clamp opening: right to left and back to front. The second measurement should be at the top edge of the opening itself = in the view you posted, measure from just to the left of the locking cam to the front edge at the top, not down inside the opening.

The aperture of the opening is 49mm by 44mm and the sides are vertical. Not likely to be a very secure base for a heavy lens on the camera.
The good news is that this monopod may have been cheap but the clamp does indeed screw off so I can look for a ball head to replace it.
Thank you for your input.
06-26-2017, 03:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the clamp does indeed screw off so I can look for a ball head to replace it
That's good news, glad to hear it. Never got on with ball heads myself (tried several), which is why I stick to the Manfrotto ones I mentioned.

06-26-2017, 03:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's good news, glad to hear it. Never got on with ball heads myself (tried several), which is why I stick to the Manfrotto ones I mentioned.

Well Jessops had nothing to suit in the way of a QR plate original or replacement, they do have the Manfrotto 494RC2 ball head for 39 but there is one on ebay so I might just bid on that and save some money.
Thank you to everyone for their help.
06-26-2017, 05:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jessops had nothing to suit in the way of a QR plate original or replacement
I suspect your monopod dates from the previous incarnation of Jessops, when they catered for photographers, before the accountants drove them into the ground. Funny, whenever a company goes bust, it's never the accountants that suffer.

(Cowers down, head covered, waiting for a shower of bricks from the accountancy brigade !)

Seriously, good luck with the eBay head.
06-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a good chance that SLIK MODEL 6256 will fit. The width of the plate's mounting flange right under the camera platform is 41mm, the front-back across the dovetails is 49mm. The "straight" sides are actually tapered slightly on this plate, 41mm up against the underside of the camera platform but narrower at their lower edge probably to make it easier to insert the plate into the clamp. Give me a day to check the dimensions of the opening of the head I have that this plate fits. If the dimensions are the same 44 X 49mm, I have an extra plate, unused, that I'll mail to you if you want to stick with that clamp on your monopod..
06-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There's a good chance that SLIK MODEL 6256 will fit. The width of the plate's mounting flange right under the camera platform is 41mm, the front-back across the dovetails is 49mm. The "straight" sides are actually tapered slightly on this plate, 41mm up against the underside of the camera platform but narrower at their lower edge probably to make it easier to insert the plate into the clamp. Give me a day to check the dimensions of the opening of the head I have that this plate fits. If the dimensions are the same 44 X 49mm, I have an extra plate, unused, that I'll mail to you if you want to stick with that clamp on your monopod..

Sending me a plate is way generous and you would have to be quite certain it would indeed fit the aperture and lock.
If you do send one, a payment of something is in order even if it is just the postage.
Thank you very much for your help in this.

---------- Post added 06-26-17 at 07:23 AM ----------

I suspect your monopod dates from the previous incarnation of Jessops, when they catered for photographers, before the accountants drove them into the ground. Funny, whenever a company goes bust, it's never the accountants that suffer.

(Cowers down, head covered, waiting for a shower of bricks from the accountancy brigade !)

Seriously, good luck with the eBay head.
I have bids on two heads on Ebay, 4 and 6 days to go respectively Manfrotto 486 and 494 and the ever kind WPRESTO looking into a replacement QR plate. I might be inundated with equipment for the outdated Monopod.
I wonder where all the QR plates disappear to....so many tripods being sold minus their plates.
06-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The opening of the Slik clamp is 41mm wide X 50mm long, so it isn't a perfect match, but close. Is your home address in the personal details you've posted? If not, send it to me in a PM if you want to try the Slik plate with the caveat that it might not be a perfect fit.
06-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder where all the QR plates disappear to....so many tripods being sold minus their plates.
They hide in the bottom of wardrobes and mutate into wire coat hangers. I think many people either store tripods carelessly, so the plate gets accidentally knocked off, or else leave the plate attached to the camera or hidden in the deep dark dusty recesses of their camera bag, to see the light of day decades later, to be greeted with the cry 'Hey ! Where's the tripod that this came from ?' I have bought second-hand camera bags, and found all manner of forgotten items in them (including, once, a Leica tele-converter, which I converted into cash !).
07-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a monopod (or tripod) head now. It came from China, cost me 10.99 and is fresh out of the box, rain and thunderstorms forecast mean it will not get a run out today.
The spec is;
Approximately 9x9x2.2cms folded.
Just over 300grams in weight, Aluminium alloy..
Capacity 3kg ( I suspect it will take more).
Choice of 1/4" and 3/8" attaching holes for monopod.

On the monopod when (vertical) the camera is at a comfortable eye level for me. When tilting the monopod to further stabilise it (i.e. make a tripod with the feet, tip gleaned from others experience) the Z shape with two hinges (friction adjustable slightly with accompanying allen key) enables tilting forwards or backwards with the camera still at a reasonably comfortable eye level.
The rubber on the head plate may not be sufficient so I might add more (and thicker) and this will ease my fears about the screw to attach camera being quite long by reducing it's effective length.
I have no idea how it will perform in the field but on paper (apart from it being too heavy for me to want to leave it attached to the camera base) it should work fine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo