Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 not reading lenses - water damaged?

My wife and I are in Disney World and the afternoon the skies opened up. I had my K-1 and the D FA 100 so I continued to shoot away. After dinner I turned the camera back on and it no longer recognizes lenses. The screen asks for the focal length as if I had an old M lens on the camera and it can't read aperature. I tried changing lenses and all have the same problem. I removed the battery, lenses and opened the SD card door to let it dry out for a while but so far no luck.

06-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount and leaving the camera in a nice warm, dry spot over night.

Good luck!
06-28-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount and leaving the camera in a nice warm, dry spot over night.

Good luck!
I turned it on this morning and it worked - WHEW. It's still under warranty, but I'm glad to have my camera for the rest of the vacation.
Thanks for the reply.
06-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was it the WR macro? You need a WR lens to keep water out of the mount.

06-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Was it the WR macro? You need a WR lens to keep water out of the mount.
The DFA is WR.

No ILC I'm aware of is waterproof, just resistant.

06-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The DFA is WR.

There are two versions of th DFA, the older one has a aperture ring and is not WR, the newer one is WR.

For a Pentax WR lens and camera, "weather resistance" includes everything short of actual submersion or pressure application (i.e. A hard direct spray)
06-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote

For a Pentax WR lens and camera, "weather resistance" includes everything short of actual submersion or pressure application (i.e. A hard direct spray)
Definitely not, Kozlok.

Our Pentaxes are not even rated as surviving dripping water for ten minutes.

Here are the international standards, no camera manufacturer complies with them, say the way an iPhone does.

Link: IPX rating guide ? Nitecore Singapore | The most advanced precision made flashlights in the world

If you read our warranty - it explicitly says we aren't covered for water ingress, whatever the advertising suggests!

So, for your own sake, look after your gear, because every year we get forum members reporting water damage.

Last edited by clackers; 06-28-2017 at 01:10 PM.
06-28-2017, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dad was a watchmaker and jeweler. He gave me my first "waterproof" watch but I always remember him saying, "keep it from getting wet because 'waterproof' is only advertising and most makers don't have 'waterproof' watches". I found that to be oh so true later but fortunately my dad could fix a waterlogged watch. I imagine the same advice applies to "water resistant" and "waterproof" cameras (not to mention lenses).
06-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Even genuine underwater housings always say they're not waterproof if you haven't checked the state of the gaskets, sealing with Vaseline or whatever as necessary.

Then you immerse them without the camera, and examine for ingress. It's all about making sure you're not thousands of dollars out of pocket through bravado.
06-29-2017, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The DFA is WR.

The Nikon AW1 claims to be (to 49 feet) but a number of people online have had issues with it leaking. Don't know if they are rare issues, or user error, or design deficiency.
06-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
The Nikon AW1 claims to be (to 49 feet) but a number of people online have had issues with it leaking. Don't know if they are rare issues, or user error, or design deficiency.
Thanks for pointing out that such a beast does exist, Abruzzi.

It's IPX8 compliant, and as a kayaker and occasional snorkeller it's actually of interest to me!