Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few decades ago a friend and I took a trip to Death Valley. We used a cooler with dry ice for storage. Not always practical so I try to arrive early and find a tree to park under. Photoptimist is right, though. The only way to eliminate risk is to not bring your camera. A buddy of mine always had an 8X10 view camera in his trunk saying why have a camera if you can't use it.

07-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
104 degrees seems like such a low threshold. Sometimes the camera seems to get that hot during normal use. There's a warning statement in the manual that says something about "some parts of the camera can get hot and could actually burn you"....
07-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If your goal is to maximize the life of the camera, then leave it at home carefully wrapped in the box it came in. But if your goal is to take pictures, then take the camera with you, have it in the trunk, bring it out in rainy weather, etc. Sometimes taking photos means taking risks although everyone has their own tradeoffs.

In the long run, would you rather have the pictures or the camera?
Agreed 100% Also, as with any electronic device even unused they only have so much life in them. Your camera only has so many shutter cycles, batteries so many charges, the image sensor so many years before its replaced by a cheaper and stronger model, it can even randomly get stolen or lost in a house fire. Why not push the limits of your gear for some great shots. I rather have a dead camera in a year but hundreds of amazing pictures than a hundred year old camera with one great picture because I babied it all its life.
07-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well I guess if I fry my K3II, another reason to get a K1 for Christmas

07-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Heat can make parts extend so much that they break. I think I have seen a broken prism housing lately due to summer heat in a car.

I see no reason why one should leave any valuable item in the car in these conditions.
07-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I live in Phoenix Arizona and heat in the summer is a concern. Not only for cameras but cell phones, computers and other electronics. Although I have never had a problem with the cameras, I don't leave them in hot places any more than absolutely necessary. They are on my person, if it's to hot for me then to hot for the camera. I have had problems with cell phones getting hot and shutting down and/or killing the battery. When the camera manual says the operating temp is 104* and it's 115 outside, well ya do what ya can do.
07-08-2017, 03:50 AM   #22

My experience is from 2015 and is from clever applications of camera more than photographing.

I was imaging operations of heavy machinery. And this was more of a electronics project for triggering camera than photographing. Just to show where the fast mechanics works wrong. How much of failure was from vibration and how much heat I don't know. And the camera was old too. Last frames before total bricking was garbage. So I believe it was electronics failure. Anyway 3 shots from over 2000 were needed to solve the problem It just needed the right right triggering time. My worst keeper ratio.

The limit for *ist DS body was 8 hours 50-60 C and +80dB noise. I chose body to be expendable. 50mm manual lens had no problems.