Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not camera related - help sought

years ago, I took a photo of Walter Payton [ the Chicago Bears running back, Hall of Famer, ] racing in the trans am series at Road America in Wisconsin

the next year I went back and he accepted a copy of the photo and signed a copy for me

of course, it was framed and hung on the wall for many years

and of course, later it came up missing

now we have found it - out of a frame, looking like it rolled/folded

any ideas or hope of it recovering?

currently it is placed flat with some light cardboard game boxes set on it to attempt to flatten it out.

06-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Any idea if it's on Inkjet photo paper or 'wet-darkroom' printing paper ?
06-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Any idea if it's on Inkjet photo paper or 'wet-darkroom' printing paper ?
I don't know

I know I didn't print the negative so I think it was on the latter there is no printing or indication on the back of the print

the camera used was a pentax with a vivitar series 1 lens
06-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Two possibilities spring to mind (assuming the original neg is lost, too) :
1) Get a really high quality scan done, and retouch it to remove evidence of flaws
2) At Your Own Risk - try using steam to soften the paper (Not the image side), then try flattening it as you have described.

06-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
years ago, I took a photo of Walter Payton [ the Chicago Bears running back, Hall of Famer, ] racing in the trans am series at Road America in Wisconsin

the next year I went back and he accepted a copy of the photo and signed a copy for me

of course, it was framed and hung on the wall for many years

and of course, later it came up missing

any ideas or hope of it recovering?

currently it is placed flat with some light cardboard game boxes set on it to attempt to flatten it out.
If it's a colour print from a wet process, it will be on resin coated colour paper. About all you can do is what you are doing. Close it in a book to keep it flat for a few weeks. It's possible that the material has developed a permanent curl, in which case you would pretty much have to dry mount it to cardstock to keep it flat. As it is signed, you need to make efforts to not get it wet, as if it's a water based ink, you might have problems with removing the signature.

---------- Post added 06-30-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Two possibilities spring to mind (assuming the original neg is lost, too) :
1) Get a really high quality scan done, and retouch it to remove evidence of flaws
2) At Your Own Risk - try using steam to soften the paper (Not the image side), then try flattening it as you have described.
Bad advice, steam might very well cause the emulsion to delaminate, and/or cause the colour dyes to fade.
06-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If it's a colour print from a wet process, it will be on resin coated colour paper. About all you can do is what you are doing. Close it in a book to keep it flat for a few weeks. It's possible that the material has developed a permanent curl, in which case you would pretty much have to dry mount it to cardstock to keep it flat. As it is signed, you need to make efforts to not get it wet, as if it's a water based ink, you might have problems with removing the signature.

---------- Post added 06-30-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

Bad advice, steam might very well cause the emulsion to delaminate, and/or cause the colour dyes to fade.
it is too big for a book

I had been hunting for it for months because I wanted to see if it could be scanned along with some embarrassing photos of my son to give to his fiancé (wedding is on July 29th )

it is a 35 mm color print, I don't know how to tell what type of paper it was processed on. the photo was taken in the early '90s so the original negative is ??????

I will let it sit for a while and then take it down to the brick and mortar photo store here in town - Wolfe's Camera and see what they suggest
06-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might also check with the picture framing dept at a Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

06-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would ask some photo restoration companies about the issue before trying anything. Won't be cheap.
06-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

it is too big for a book
Use several books.
06-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Use several books.
I am using a couple of cardboard game boxes with one more on top

that covers it very well
06-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I am using a couple of cardboard game boxes with one more on top

that covers it very well
All you can do is keep it pressed flat until it stays that way on it's own. If it was shot and printed in the early 90s, it is not an inkjet print. I would, as soon as you can get it to stay flat enough, copy is.
As an aside, if you sandwich it between a couple of pieces of 1/4" hardboard and put some weight on top, that will take the place of a book nicely.
Learn to not be too literal, thinking outside the box is a good way to figure things out.
06-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #12

You might try putting a backing on it.Use a mounting board equiped with adhesive and then carefully use a rubber roller to attach and flatten it. Put some kind of covering over the picture when you roll it, like parchment paper. Go slow and be patient to assure that you get no air bubbles underneath. If it was folded and the print is cracked you should seek a professional restorer service.
06-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Find someone with a vacuum/dry mount press (e.g.. local frame shop), and have them put it on a piece of gatorboard, buffered foam core, or similar. The press will flatten it out without bubbles, and being adhered to a hard backing will keep it that way.
I agree completely with this response! If it means a lot to you, have it mounted properly to a good quality backer substrate using a proper press and dry mount materials.

Daryl
06-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Having done a fair bit of work with 19th C. processes - two things sprint to mind.

if it really matters to you then digitize it, regardless of whatever else you do.

Hand it over to a paper/photo conservator - a proper one - which will be expensive, but frankly even the initial verbal consult will tell you far more about what is possible in terms of conservation than a bunch of people on the interweb.

If you are clever about it you may be able to ask a local museum if they could let you speak to a paper conservator or a registrar for a short while - I've done this several times over the years.
07-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I agree completely with this response! If it means a lot to you, have it mounted properly to a good quality backer substrate using a proper press and dry mount materials.

Daryl
If you have ever tried to drymount a badly curled print (I have when I worked as a framer) you would realize that until the print has been flattened, it's not a viable solution. Once the print will lay relatively flat, drymounting it will keep it that way.